- 220 E Rogers Rd, Longmont, CO 80501, USA
Since 1970, Salud has been committed to providing a Medical Home to patients, where medical, dental, behavioral health services and clinical pharmacists work together and coordinate efforts in a team based system of care. We strive to improve the quality of our patient's lives who would otherwise have limited access to health care. We serve all individuals regardless of their insurance status or ability to pay.
As a Dental Assistant with Salud, you will approach your task in a team based care fashion which supports patients and their families in self-management, self-efficacy and behavior change. Our Dental Assistants adhere to the spirit of the SALUD mission statement while performing assigned duties. As a Dental Assistant with Salud, you will perform those duties which assist the Dental Director, Dentists, and Dental Hygienists in the care and treatment of patients. You will also perform duties in the field of reception, chairside assisting, inventory and records.
Works primarily under the supervision of the Center Dental Director; but also works under the supervision of the Executive VP of Dental Services and all clinic dentists and dental hygienists.
- The Dental Assistant acts as a patient advocate for our vulnerable population by ensuring that the patient is fully informed and comfortable with their visit to SALUD.
- Works in conjunction with other Medical Providers, Dental Providers, Behavioral Health Providers and all other staff to ensure that the patient obtains the highest standard of integrated health care.
- Assist the dentists and hygienists in chair-side procedures routinely done in a general dental practice.
- Responsible for preparation and setting up of instruments, materials, and equipment necessary for each procedure.
- Responsible for the sterilization of instruments, and the cleaning and routine maintenance of equipment and work areas.
- Schedules patients, does routine reception work, accurately records information on patient records.
- Follows procedures for the electronic health records system.
- Helps to identify related medical and/or social problems.
- Orders supplies and materials; maintains inventory of supplies and materials as well as maintaining thorough and accurate documentation of inventory.
- Follow recommendations for preventing and controlling infectious diseases and managing personal health and safety concerns related to infection prevention and control in the dental health care setting.
- Provide dental health services appropriate to the age-specific needs of all patients in accordance with the principles of growth and development for infant, child, adolescent, adult and geriatric life cycles.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Career ladder positions at Salud are required to complete the career ladder through level two that is most closely associated with their role. This includes completing all the courses, passing the exams, having satisfactory reviews and obtaining the outside certification as quickly as these levels are available and within the parameters established by Salud. Those unable to complete the ladder within the parameters set by the organization will not be allowed to continue in their current role.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- An ability and willingness to learn.
- A desire to expand abilities.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to motivate patients.
- Must work well with the other patient care team members.
- Ability to operate, maintain, and document in the electronic record.
- Ability to reliably take diagnostic digital x-rays in a timely fashion.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with patients and staff.
- Sensitivity to low income and ethnic minority community a must.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
Graduation from high school or equivalent is required.
Previous dental assistant experience desired, but not required.
Bloodborne Pathogen Risk Level:
High exposure to bloodborne pathogens.
Normal Medical and Dental office environment
Requires sitting for long periods of time and crouching in a forward position. Requires manual dexterity. Requires depth perception, normal visual acuity, and hand-eye coordination. Requires standing, walking, reaching and stretching to operate department equipment. Requires pulling, pushing and fingering with hands, wrists, arms and upper body. Requires the ability to work under stressful conditions and in a confined area with accuracy. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record data electronically and to communicate with patients.
Must be radiology certified, within the timeframe set by Dental Department standards.
Maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) for healthcare providers from one of the following organizations:
a. American Heart Association;
b. American Safety and Health Institute; or
c. American Red Cross.
No licensure or certification is needed to be hired, although Dental Assistants must become credentialed through the Salud Career Ladders program.
Salud Family Health Centers is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of age 40 and over, race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other applicable status protected by federal, state, or local laws. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.