CDI - Design Operations Manager W/M - APPAREL & GEAR
- Annecy, France
- Department: Design
Amer Sports is a sporting goods company with internationally recognized brands including Salomon, Arc’teryx, Peak Performance, Atomic, Mavic, Suunto, Wilson and Precor.
Our shared values support and guide our operations around the world. Success in competition requires the determination to win, team spirit, fair play and innovation.
“The Mountain Sport Company”, Salomon was born in 1947 in the heart of the French Alps and the birthplace of modern alpinism. Salomon’s commitment to innovative design and passion for mountain sports created a vast range of revolutionary new concepts in bindings, boots, skis and apparel for both Alpine and Nordic skiing and brought innovative solutions to footwear, apparel and equipment for snowboarding, adventure racing, mountaineering, hiking, trail running, and many other sports.
Through performance driven design, Salomon delivers innovation and progression to mountain sports; converting new ideas into action and expanding the limits of possibility. Salomon’s heritage, culture, and commitment are tied together by one simple concept: the world’s leading mountain people creating the world’s leading mountain products. Salomon is headquartered in Annecy, France.
At Salomon we are seeking creative, genuine, and authentic people to join our team and start that next journey together. Our future Design Manager will use your operational, technical, and process expertise as well as your creativity and sensitivity to advance products from design to commercialization.
- Responsible for leading a team of 8 creative designers into researching trends, ideation of new concepts and creating compelling stories to meet the brand values and aesthetic.
- The Design Manager works with the apparel team to ensure that each product meets the categories product brief and the seasonal design direction set by the Creation Director and the Product Creation Managers.
- Leverages Agile Methodology and Design Thinking
- Proactively manage and improve the creation process of sports apparel
- Mentor, inspire and grow direct reports
- Influence the creative vision for specific ranges across the category
- Implement the seasonal Direction of the Category according to market trends ensuring consistency though products and ranges.
- Challenge category strategy through innovative apparel concepts/stories
- Create supporting presentations that illustrates design concepts and tells stories
- Ensure an efficient process and communication flow between design, colors and trends
- Represent and defend the ideas of the teams
- Travel to factories to finalize and develop his/her ideas
- Ensure proper handover of apparel design to development
- Ability to balance consumer needs vs consumer wants (Practical vs Desirable)
- Translate fashion and culture trends to the brand, products, product lines, design concepts, color, and graphics
- Employ multi-dimensional thinking to ideate and discover new perspectives, view points, or approaches
- Use unorthodox or atypical ways of solving problems to conceive innovative, usable concepts/ideas
SALOMON DESIGN DNA:
- Ensure the product successfully meets the brand aesthetic by adhering to Salomon design DNA fundamentals
- Ensure construction, finishing techniques, and textiles enhance product usability
- Attend and contribute to review sessions for designs, construction, fit, and/or prototypes
- Ensure design reflects market needs and product brief requirements
- Use relevant and appropriate resources to accurately determine, anticipate, and validate current and future trends, competition, retail landscape, and cultural drivers
- Needed work experience:
- 10+ years of apparel design experience
- 3+ years of management experience
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in fashion or apparel design
- Foreign languages: proficiency in English. French is a plus.
- Knowledge of garment construction, garment fit and costing
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills
- Presentation and Storytelling skills
- Profound knowledge of apparel design. Sportswear is a plus
- Excellent communication skills
- High level of initiative and maturity
- Problem solving attitude & can-do personality
- Ability to lead and/or support the change