Manager, Civil & Structural Engineering
- North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sacré-Davey is an engineering consulting company providing engineering and project management services in diverse fields of mining, oil and gas, pulp and paper, clean technologies, chemicals, food and beverage and ports and marine. With offices across Canada and the western United States, we offer our clients professional advice and technical expertise to help improve the return on their investments. By thinking creatively and finding innovative approaches, we provide solutions that maximize value for our clients.
As Manager, Civil & Structural Engineering your role is to lead and manage all staff within the civil / structural engineering and architectural disciplines across the organization (approximately 40% of the time) as well as doing hands-on technical work (approximately 60% of the time). You will link people development into team development opportunities by supporting Regional Managers, Business Unit Managers and Project Managers to win business through creative, value-added solutions.
- Manage all discipline staff across all offices, setting clear expectations for behaviour and performance and holding direct reports accountable
- Make technical assessment for hiring, promotion, and training decisions of direct reports
- Assess and identify hiring needs, review resumes and conduct interviews in support of the recruitment process
- Provide feedback to direct reports, through regular check-ins and scheduled performance evaluations, and work with each direct report on an action plan for growth and development
- On a weekly basis, monitor the discipline workload and work collaboratively with Project Managers, Regional Managers and Business Unit Managers to effectively distribute resources
- Prepare proposals and project cost estimates, including assigning/managing workload and balancing internal priorities
- Review and approve project engineering budgets produced by direct reports; prepare structural scope of services for major projects or review those produced by direct reports
- Maintain a comprehensive skills matrix within the Civil and Structural Engineering discipline
- Project the Company culture and values to both internal and external stakeholders
- Structure discipline activities in pursuit of the overall goals of the organization
- Continue development of a mentoring program which provides regular feedback and encouragement of skill development
- Oversee the quality of deliverables, promote actions to correct issues to ensure that the requirements of Sacré-Davey’s Quality Management System are followed for all work
- Actively work with other Discipline Managers, Business Unit Managers and Regional Managers to achieve targets and discipline objectives
- Promote safety of design and safety within the workplace
- Structural design for industrial, manufacturing, and utilities projects; including oil and gas, petrochemical, pulp and paper, mining, chemical plants, and power generation facilities
- Ability to develop calculations and documentation packages, plans, sections and details for civil and structural design projects according to project standards and company standards
- Familiar with detailing of structural steel, steel connection details, welds, concrete reinforcement, masonry, timber framing, foundations and basic architectural details. Ability to perform structural analysis and design. Ability to read shop drawings, existing civil/structural drawings, related mechanical and equipment drawings.
- Field engineering experience including on-site design and technical support
- Provide project management for projects that are primarily civil/structural in nature
- Familiar with structural analysis software
- Advise on all technical aspects of civil and structural engineering work, such as development of design criteria, preparation of engineering calculations, analyses, and studies, development of layout design, and report writing
- Initiate, review, provide leadership in and approve the development of structural and civil engineering standards, calculations, internal software and hardware
- Assess and recommend structural software appropriate for the level of engineering required for the project
- Review and confirm engineering deliverables are complete, technically accurate, and in compliance with applicable codes, standards, and specifications
- Provide engineering design advice and support to designers and AutoCAD operators
- Understand and implement all relevant systems, standards, practices, and procedures required by Sacré-Davey’s contracts with its clients
A Focus on Customers
- Active in business development with clients by: identifying customer leads, conducting initial meetings; completing follow-up with potential and existing clients and assisting in the preparation of proposals and project cost estimate
- Challenge your team to develop smart solutions that meet or exceed quality standards and customer expectations
- Support Project Managers with engineering and projects reviews
- Work with Project Managers to guide the development and justification of change orders
- Adapt to schedule changes and ensure the impact is communicated internally
- Reduce project costs by constantly exploring new approaches, developing creative solutions, making more effective designs and improving implementation
- Work with Project Managers to stay within project budgets
- Demonstrate the savings and/or benefits of process and technology improvements
- A Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Structural Engineering from a recognized institution
- Registered as a Professional Engineer with EGBC; registration with other provinces/states is considered an asset.
- 12+ years of structural project management or technical experience
- A skilled team builder who can navigate interpersonal conflict and facilitate solutions
- A self-starter who is proactive, exercises initiative and is willing to justify his or her actions
- Superior grasp of engineering principles and the ability to creatively apply them to complex customer problem areas
- Comfortable working in both a design office and operating plant environments
- Highly organized, with the ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- Ability to travel
- Bilingual: English/French an asset
Sacré- Davey offers a competitive compensation package, as well as a creative, cohesive work environment and continuous opportunity for development. If you would like to be considered for this opportunity please submit your resume and cover letter, including a description of projects and accomplishments relevant to the position.
Sacré-Davey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or any other protected status. If you have any accessibility or special requirements, please let us know and we will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.