Field Service Engineer
- Western Drive, Whitchurch, Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom
We at Syntegon Technology are already developing sustainable overall solutions for the pharmaceutical and food industries. As an independent company, which emerged from the Bosch Group, 6100 experienced employees in over 15 countries are working to further expand our leading position as a supplier of process and packaging technology. Use your passion and commitment to contribute to a better quality of life around the world and to actively shape our future. Take the first step! Apply now!
A new opportunity has arisen at Syntegon for a dual skilled Field Service Engineer for the food packaging division, specialising in Secondary Packaging. A fantastic opportunity for an individual to be responsible for installations, commissioning and all aspects of support for Syntegon Secondary Packaging equipment users. The role is field based and will require around 85% national and international travel.
Within area of operation, the Field Service Engineer will;
- Install and commission new packaging lines
- Supervising mechanical positioning, locating and leveling of new equipment
- Running equipment in production environment to agreed specification level
- Carry out site acceptance tests on new equipment with responsibility for sign off.
- Recognize problems and their root cause across entire range of secondary packaging equipment
- Training customer in routine maintenance and operation of Syntegon Packaging equipment.
- Provide routine maintenance and planned servicing of Syntegon Secondary Packaging equipment according to service agreements and schedules.
- Assessment of maintenance needs and parts required to bring customers equipment up to satisfactory performance level.
- Support product trials
- Working to a tight timescale to minimize downtime
- Advising customer of future maintenance programs and training
- Breakdowns and troubleshooting
- Short notice call outs to establish problems and rectify faults
- Liaising with Syntegon engineers should modifications be required
- Resolve electrical, mechanical and software issues on range of equipment.
- Identify root cause problems and resolve. If resolution is not possible liaise with engineering team and customer to determine solutions.
- Produce detailed reports following site visits
- Ongoing product training
- Manage customer expectations
- May be required to travel at short notice, work weekends and support the manufacturing site in Bristol as required
This list is not exhaustive and serves only to highlight the main emphases of the position. As the position and company develops, the tasks may expand or change accordingly.
Knowledge and Skills:
The job holder will hold the following knowledge and skills;
- Experience in a previous field service role is desirable.
- Packaging engineering and technical skills desirable
- Exposure to FMCG manufacturing industry – food and packaging would be an advantage
- Qualifications in Mechatronics, mechanical or electrical engineering
- Electrical engineering – full understanding of both modern and old control systems across a wide range of platforms
- Ability to working with own initiative and skills
- Mechanical engineering understanding including;
> Understanding correct methods of mechanical engineering from changing bearings to setting up machinery
> Adjusting high speed packaging machines to achieve optimum efficiency and high quality packages
> Ability to find and identify worn and damaged parts from assembly drawings
- Software controls engineering – in depth knowledge of PLC theory and implementation. Ability to fault find in complex software
- Commercial awareness. Being able to spot opportunities such as machine upgrades and modernization. Then inform customer about possibilities before reporting to sales person. Helping finalise the sale
- An understanding of high level of customer service
- Ability to prioritize and work to challenging deadlines
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work remotely, often overseas in a variety of locations
- Full driving license
Remuneration & Benefits
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday per year + public holidays
- Staff discount for various retailers including access to company benefits platform (Perkbox)
- Medical cash plan
- Life Assurance (7 x annual salary)
- Income protection
- An excellent opportunity to gain experience within a global company