Machine Shop / Manufacturing Manager
- 5224 Snapfinger Woods Dr, Decatur, GA 30035, USA
- Legal Entity: Kliklok LLC, a Syntegon company
Kliklok-Woodman, a subsidiary of Syntegon Technology (previously Bosch Packaging Technology) with its global headquarters based near Stuttgart, Germany. Syntegon Technology employs approximately 6,500 associates at 30 plus worldwide locations. Syntegon designs, develops and produces hi-tech packaging solutions (machines, systems, and after sales service) for the pharmaceutical and food industries.
SUMMARY: This position manages, coordinates and continuously monitors all activities related to welding, laser-cutting, fabrication, cnc machining and manufacturing of machine and/or spare parts made in the Machining Department through the daily management of a team of employees utilizing excellent, in-depth knowledge of company products and procedures.
- Lead Machine Shop with an entrepreneurial mindset to ensure insourcing is the preferred option.
- Create and implement strategic initiatives to ensure a world-class machine shop.
- Create and maintains a high quality teamwork environment so team members are motivated to perform at their highest level.
- Promote teamwork and cooperation between areas of responsibility and other departments.
- Ensure a clean and safe working environment throughout the department at all times.
- Review and interpret engineering drawings, as released, and determine best and most cost effective method of manufacturing.
- Analyze production specifications and plant capacity data to determine manufacturing processes, tools and human resource requirements.
- Revise schedules according to work order specifications, established priorities and availability, or capability of workers, parts, material, machines and equipment.
- Continuously reviews manpower and overtime requirements. Coordinates overtime to ensure a cost effective and productive use of workforce.
- Continuous monitoring of all areas of responsibility to ensure awareness of all work flow issues both positively and negatively.
- Compiles reports concerning progress of work and downtime due to failures of machines, equipment, personnel, materials, and supplies to inform management and affected departments of production delays.
- Recommend tooling fixtures required to increase productivity. Oversee implementation of said tooling and fixtures. Design special tooling and fixtures as required for effective production.
- When necessary, assist production control in developing work orders. Work Order Sequencing – Routing Support.
- Ensure tooling is ordered and received in a timely manner as not to delay parts required.
- Attend production meetings and other meetings as required and/or request by management. Ensure that appropriate information is gathered and distributed at meetings.
- Conduct routine staff meetings.
- Whether verbally or written, communicate with staff and peers in an efficient & professional manner. Make certain that you have expressed yourself clearly and that you clearly understand what has been communicated.
- Assure that drawings and BOM’s are properly marked up to reflect changes.
- Manage multiple projects as assigned.
- Develop and implement Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) pertinent to the effective and efficient operations of all areas of responsibility.
- Perform administrative activities associated with the effective management of the responsible area, including compiling, storing, and retrieving data for reports.
- Ensure proper documentation is continuously completed/updated (routing, red lines, SOPs, etc.)
- Track downtime and rework time for department. Create appropriate reports to analyze information.
- Effectively orient and provide on the job training in order to ensure the best quality staff member with the lowest possibility of turnover, while growing employee careers.
- Conduct on time employee appraisals per company policy.
- Respond to and resolve employee relations’ issues. Address disciplinary and/or performance problems according to company policy.
- Ensure employees have appropriate training and other resources to perform their jobs to comply with company, government, and customer policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Determine responsibilities of assigned organization and staff positions to accomplish business objectives.
- Provide a representative who participates in company’s Safety Committee.
- Ensure compliance with company and OSHA safety rules and standards.
- Address safety issues for the department as they occur.
- Operate and maintain an organized, cost effective department. Utilize resources in an efficient and effective manner.
- Other duties as assigned by members of management.
- Manage machine shop personnel. Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carry-out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints; resolving problems and terminating employees as necessary.
- Must have a Bachelor's degree OR a minimum of 3+ years of management or ownership of a machine shop
- Must have a minimum of 10+ years experience working in machine shop environment
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written, including ability to communicate effectively to the intended audience
- Excellent MS Office skills, specifically Word, and PowerPoint and Excel skills
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Interpersonal Skills: Ability to lead change, with enthusiasm and a positive approach; Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming, complaining or making excuses; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things
- Business Acumen: Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability and works within budgets
- Self-Management: Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Displays willingness to make decisions while exhibiting sound judgment and reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions. Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans
- Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful/respectful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Follows through on commitments
Syntegon Technology is a proud supporter of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) Initiatives
- FIRST Robotics (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology)
- AWIM (A World In Motion)
By choice, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.
NOTE: All official Syntegon job postings can be found at www.syntegon.com. Successful candidates asked to participate in the hiring process should expect to speak to the hiring team by telephone and in person at one of our Syntegon office locations (Decatur, Oldsmar, Raleigh, New Richmond, Minneapolis and Allendale) prior to the job offer.