Preschool Teacher (Bilingual Spanish) - Education & Vocational Division
- 204 Hampton Drive, Venice, CA, United States
Since 1976, St. Joseph Center has been meeting the needs of low-income and homeless individuals and families in Venice, Santa Monica, Mar Vista, and surrounding communities. The Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit community organization that assists people without regard for religious affiliation or lack thereof through comprehensive case management and integrated social service programs. The Center enjoys broad-based community support as well as a sponsored relationship with its founders, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet. St. Joseph Center serves approximately 6,000 individuals annually.
The Preschool Teacher will work as a member of the classroom team providing a full day program for a classroom of either toddlers or preschool age children. Adhering to professional conduct at all times while carrying out the mission, vision, and values established by the Executive Director and Board of Directors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Assist Lead Teacher in planning, implementing and supervising curriculum for children 18 months to 5 years old
- Assist with arrangements, décor, appearance and learning environment of the classroom under the direction of the lead teacher and/or site supervisor
- Supervise children and share responsibility for promoting classroom dynamics
- Comply with all state licensing regulations, provide state mandated reporting as necessary to the program manager and/or appropriate authorities
- Support classroom management in accordance with the program philosophy
- Assist with opening and closing activities; manage sign-in and sign-out sheets
- Assist other teachers, and the Early Learning Center Program Manager with observations and individual evaluations of children
- Communicate any changes in children’s behavior that might affect their growth and development to the Lead Teacher, and the site supervisor
- Complete daily health checks regarding hygiene, safety, and overall well-being of children
- Maintain confidentiality of program participants; support open communication between parents, volunteers and staff
- Assist with the management of the classroom, serve food and participate in meal time activities
- Assume an equal share of general clean up responsibilities and end of the day classroom set-up, maintaining a safe and creative environment
- Participate in all staff training, parent/staff meetings during the year, and events involving parents and local communities
Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are designed to provide typical examples of the work performed; not all duties and responsibilities assigned are included here, nor is it expected that all similar positions will be assigned every duty and responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Bilingual (Spanish/English)
- Knowledge in Creative, Emergent Curriculum and Reggio Emilia Approach
- Knowledge of general needs and behavior of children of various ethnic, racial and cultural backgrounds
- Knowledge of Title 22 Regulations, compliance with all state licensing requirements as described in Title 22, Division 12, Article 6, Section 101316.2; teacher qualifications and duties
- The ability to observe, see, hear, and respond to children’s needs, emergencies and conflicts that may occur in the child development center or on the playground
- Lift 30 pounds from the floor to a waist-high table when necessary. Reach a child 20 to 30 feet away within 30 seconds without endangering the staff person’s health
- Crouch to a child’s height, maintain eye contact at the child’s level, sit on the floor and stand tall enough to reach children on the highest piece of equipment
- The ability to be aware of the cognitive, social and physical needs of children
- Communicate verbally and in writing in English to the degree that child, parents, and other staff members are able to understand and respond
- The position requires an ability to work flexible hours including some early mornings and evenings
- Experience working in social services with children and families, with at least one year preferably in an early childhood education setting
- Completion of a minimum of 12 semester units (or quarter equivalent) of core courses in child development from an accredited college prior to employment and have an A.A. degree or be in the process of completing an A.A. degree. Teacher working with infants and toddlers shall have three additional units in Infant/Toddler program.
- This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and widely supported internet browsers.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- Maintenance of an Associate Teacher or Teacher Permit from the State of Commission on Teacher Credentialing
- Current first aid and CPR certification
- Valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
- Valid automobile liability insurance.
Employment with St. Joseph Center is contingent on completion of satisfactory background check.
For consideration, please submit cover letter and resume. St. Joseph Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. All applicants for employment are invited to voluntarily self-identify their gender, race, ethnicity, and veteran status, by completing the EEO Information. Providing your EEO Information is voluntary and refusal to self-identify will not subject applicants to any adverse treatment. Similarly, applicants who do self-identify will not be subject to any adverse treatment based on the information they provide.
St. Joseph center invites you to review the current "EEO is The Law" poster as part of the application process. A link to the current poster is located here.
Veteran Friendly Employer