Café Associate - Education & Vocational Division
- 204 Hampton Drive, Venice, CA, United States
Since 1976, St. Joseph Center has been meeting the needs of low-income and homeless individuals and families in Venice, Santa Monica, Mar Vista, and surrounding communities. The Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit community organization that assists people without regard for religious affiliation or lack thereof through comprehensive case management and integrated social service programs. The Center enjoys broad-based community support as well as a sponsored relationship with its founders, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet. St. Joseph Center serves approximately 6,000 individuals annually.
The Café Associate is responsible for the daily production and execution of hearty and healthy meals, giving and receiving direction in the kitchen, working with volunteers, the cleanliness of the café and facilitating a productive and harmonious work environment for all guests, volunteers, and staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Café Associate’s key areas of responsibility include:
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Ensure that the kitchen operates efficiently and meets services times.
- Produce high quality, nourishing meals that taste great and look appetizing.
- Assist the Chef/Program Manager with culinary training program students and train them by modeling proper technique and execution.
- Assist the Chef/Program Manager with oversight of culinary training program students as they prepare food for café service and catering projects.
- Participate in the weekly planning of menus and successful day or execution.
- Fill in for the Chef/Program Manager in planning and executing food preparation when necessary.
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with clients, co-workers, and volunteers. Resourcefully solve any issues that arise and record/report any incidences in a timely manner to the appropriate person.
- Track and restock inventory appropriately, work with Chef/Program Manager to conduct weekly shopping for café supplies.
- Comply with and enforce sanitation and safety standards. Create work orders to maintain kitchen facilities. Maintain cleanliness of kitchen (trash disposal, airing and cleaning of kitchen floor mats, sweeping, mopping, and wiping down of all surfaces).
- Ensure that all dishes, pots, pans, cooking utensils, utensils, cups, etc. are being cleaned and sanitized properly and remain in appropriate condition to cook or serve food.
- Ensure that dining room and all bathrooms are cleaned and maintained (sweeping, mopping, and wiping down surface areas).
- Work with Chef/Program Manager to help with all outside vendors and ensure that routine maintenance is completed and the café is in full compliance with all local, state, and federal health standard laws.
Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are designed to provide typical examples of the work performed; not all duties and responsibilities assigned are included here, nor is it expected that all similar positions will be assigned every duty and responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must be highly motivated and a self-starter. The ability to communicate with and relate to a diverse group of people including clients, community stakeholders, staff, executive leadership and public officials. Must have excellent organizational skills and the capability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Culinary experience in addition to appropriately modeling for students and volunteers.
- Experience and certification is ServSafe management.
- A combination of education in culinary arts, as well as work experience related to this position.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Ability to use widely supported internet browsers.
- Ability to complete time sheets and submit in a timely manner to supervisor and finance.
- Ability to complete work order and submit in Zoho.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- Valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
- Valid automobile liability insurance.
- May be required to travel to other sites to support other SJC programs and/or events on an as-needed basis
Employment with St. Joseph Center is contingent on completion of satisfactory background check.
For consideration, please submit cover letter and resume. St. Joseph Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. All applicants for employment are invited to voluntarily self-identify their gender, race, ethnicity, and veteran status, by completing the EEO Information. Providing your EEO Information is voluntary and refusal to self-identify will not subject applicants to any adverse treatment. Similarly, applicants who do self-identify will not be subject to any adverse treatment based on the information they provide.
St. Joseph center invites you to review the current "EEO is The Law" poster as part of the application process. A link to the current poster is located here.
Veteran Friendly Employer