Senior Real Estate Underwriter
- 1620 N Signal Dr, Liberty Lake, WA 99019, USA
STCU is a growing regional credit union that is consistently rated one of the top-performing credit unions in the nation, and have been named as one of Fortune Magazine’s Great Places to Work. We look for employees who have a strong desire to serve others, are lifelong learners, committed to working hard, have a fun-loving attitude, and want to make a difference in our members’ lives. We love people who share our passion for integrity, service, innovation, education, people, and celebration.
STCU offers excellent benefits:
- Paid Time Off
- Ten paid holidays
- Health Plan – Medical, Prescription Drug, Dental, and Vision
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Life and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Training and Personnel Development Programs
- Credit Union-wide semi-annual success sharing plan
Based in Liberty Lake, WA, STCU is a member-owned credit union with more than $2.6 Billion in total assets. With 21 branches in Eastern Washington and North Idaho, STCU serves more than 174,000 members. Learn more at www.stcu.org.
The Senior Real Estate Underwriter is responsible for reviewing and delivering compliant and quality decisions for all types of real estate loans originated at the Credit Union, specializing in more complex transactions. This position assists the Real Estate Underwriting Manager with training and mentoring underwriters and Real Estate staff. This position requires the ability to discern and accurately designate the salability of loans for the secondary market in addition to recommendation for placement of loans in the STCU loan portfolio. This position is also responsible for leading collaboration with other underwriters to ensure consistency in lending decisions.
Loan Portfolio and Underwriting
- Review real estate loan requests prepared by lending staff for policy, regulatory compliance and prudent underwriting.
- Review, analyze and approve real estate loan requests prepared by lending staff within delegated lending authority. Analyze and present credit requests in excess of delegated lending authority to appropriate authority for approval.
- Review and analyze more complex loan requests including C2P loans.
- Monitor changes in policies and other rules, regulations and various mortgage lending guidelines of the NCUA, secondary market and the laws of the states of Washington, Idaho and Oregon to ensure compliance of real estate lending practices. Make recommendations for revisions to Real Estate Underwriting Manager.
- Monitor the quality and origination trends of real estate loan requests in accordance with STCU loan policy and standards, government regulation and secondary market guidelines. Make recommendations for revisions to the Real Estate Underwriting Manager.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of and adhere to STCU’s Real Estate Mortgage Loan Policy, Standards and Procedures and applicable regulatory requirements.
- Work proactively with and mentor underwriting staff, developing and maintaining sound credit skills while also mentoring processing and origination staff as needed. Recommend real estate lending authority for underwriters to the Real Estate Underwriting Manager.
- Review and analyze employee loans according to STCU loan policy and standards. .
- Submit monthly underwriting reports to the Real Estate Underwriting Manager as requested.
- Meet underwriting production goals as established in cooperation with the Director of Real Estate.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance or other related area preferred. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Mortgage Bankers Association or similar underwriter certificate preferred.
- Minimum of eight years’ progressive experience in real estate lending with at least five years in credit decisioning experience required.
- FHA (Direct Endorsement) and VA (Appraisal SAR) certifications preferred.
- Minimum of one year experience mentoring, training, and/or coaching.
- Knowledge of industry regulations, compliance standards, and basic products and services required (preferably in a credit union environment).
- Must have proven ability to make sound credit decisions.
- Proficient knowledge of MS Office programs including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills required, including maintaining positive relationships and excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a diverse work group, as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to adapt to changes and prioritize and manage competing demands.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret data and understand and communicate complex and diverse information, and effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and the general public.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations exercising flexibility and sound judgment in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to make practical and timely decisions and explain reasoning for decisions.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Strong work ethic required, including the ability to complete duties on time, consistently arrive at work on time as scheduled, and ability to work flexible hours and overtime as needed.
- Must be able to regularly see, talk, hear, and operate a computer keyboard and mouse.
- Occasionally lift, pull/push, and carry up to 10 pounds.
- Exposure to constant or intermittent sounds at a low or moderate level consistent with an office setting.
- Exposure to high-stress, fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
Please review our website for the complete job description and apply today at www.stcu.org/careers.