- 333 Rue Chabanel O, Montréal, QC H2N 2G1, Canada
SSENSE, pronounced [es-uhns], is a Montreal-based fashion platform with global reach. Founded in 2003, SSENSE is pacing the vanguard of directional retail with a mix of luxury, streetwear, and avant-garde labels. We produce industry-leading original content and take pride in building our own technology solutions and systems from scratch. Our field of focus has grown beyond that of a typical e-commerce entity as we explore the nexus of content, commerce, and culture.
Currently serving 150 countries, generating an average of 88 million monthly page views, and achieving high double digit annual growth since inception, SSENSE is becoming a cultural protagonist in its own right.
Data Science @ SSENSE
Existing since 2017, data science’s mandate is to supercharge the organization and drive material value from data. We have many hats but we focus our work on building decision taking and decision support algorithms and tools. We operate with a fast but uncompromising mindset and bring our expert outsiders knowledge to challenge the status quo and drive innovation. We lead change in mindsets & processes as entrepreneurial collaborators with our many stakeholders as our roles and responsibilities are far reaching within the organization. We focus our work around five main streams:
1. Buying intelligence
2. Recommendation systems & customer insights
3. Performance marketing
4. Pricing strategies
5. Network planning & intelligence
We develop custom solutions adapted to specific business knowledge and strive to be ahead but in sight of everyone. We are technical, we are business owners & we are solution finders.
SSENSE is looking for Data Scientists with a high degree of autonomy and strong challenge solving mindset. The Data Scientist will be developing solutions for a specific business area through building strong relationships and domain expertise while helping to shape new ways of thinking and empowering decisions with data.
The Data Scientist will be building machine learning decision taking systems as well as interactive tools and support productionalization of the designed solutions. Through the work, new business opportunities will be identified that will fuel future projects. Processes will be challenged to make smarter decisions while advocating and evangelizing data-fuelled models to support our success.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong passion for producing new, creative and leading-edge solutions through all aspects of the data
science product lifecycle, including productionalization of developed solutions.
● Translate complex analytical results into actionable business initiatives
● Develop a deep understanding of the business, its data, and its patterns
● Extract data from multiple sources to uncover opportunities or detect issues
● Research, develop and deploy data models and systems to various stakeholders under multiple projects to clearly communicate,
elucidating patterns and generating actionable insights and tools
● Partner with strategic business stakeholders to provide evidence-based guidance
● Contribute to data mining architecture, modeling standards and data analysis methodologies
● Work in collaboration with different teams to refine initial concepts and prototypes that can be presented to stakeholders for feedback
● Develop and continuously improve processes, tools, and techniques
Ownership and Accountability
● Be accountable for code quality and robustness of designed processes.
● Be accountable for performance, reliability and quality of designed processes.
● Contribute to cross-teams initiatives to drive change within the organization.Qualifications
● Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related field
● Master’s degree or PhD, an asset
● A minimum of 3 years experience in analytics and data science with a focus on driving business impact
● Strong understanding of advanced modeling techniques, such as machine learning, nonparametric approaches and neural networks
● Understanding (experience as asset) of data products, from design up to their deployment
● Excellent programming skills using Python, SQL
● Experience working with GitHub
● Experience with data manipulation technologies and knowledge of programming languages
● Extensive experience solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches
● E-commerce experience, an asset
● Understanding of web analytics, an asset
● Highly analytical and detail oriented
● Capacity to synthesize, simplify and present complex information to technical and business stakeholders at various levels of the
● Ability to design and present complex data sets in a variety of visually compelling formats
● Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, performance-driven environment
● Ability to grasp interrelation, dependencies and assess quickly impact in complex systems
● Team player with solid interpersonal skills
● Stay abreast of emerging tools and technologies