FIELD COORDINATOR CUM AQUACULTURE TECHNICIAN
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term country presence in over 24 countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses, and organizations with the tools, knowledge, and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services - empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
SNV has been working in Vietnam since 1995, and currently has over 50 national and international staff. SNV Vietnam’s team works together with communities, government agencies, and businesses in more than 50 provinces, including the remotest and poorest areas of the country. Our work focuses on three sectors - Agri-Food, Energy, and Water. By continuing to focus on these interconnected areas and adapting and expanding our approach within them, we will reach more people in Vietnam and beyond and ensure that they have every opportunity to lift themselves out of poverty.
The Tra Vinh Community Development Project
SNV Vietnam is currently starting up implementation of a long-term Community Development Project (CDP) assigned by a near-shore wind power project developer – the Tra Vinh Wind Power No. 1 Joint Stock Company (TWPC) and Climate Fund Managers (CFM). The objective of the CDP is to deliver net positive environmental and social impacts in the areas and communities where TPWC is operational and therefore an associated CDP is required. The project areas are in Truong Long Hoa, Dan Thanh and Long Toan communes of Duyen Hai town and Ngu Lac commune of Duyen Hai district, Tra Vinh province.
The CDP focuses on improving local livelihoods by investing in market-based approaches and the development of inclusive value-chains for sustainable aquaculture and horticulture, as the main livelihood opportunities in the area. Interventions will have a strong emphasis on promoting climate resilient approaches and on women’s economic empowerment in the respective value-chains in the target areas.
SNV is looking for a Field Coordinator cum Aquaculture Technician who will be based in Duyen Hai Town, Tra Vinh province to support the project manager (PM) with: 1) the development of inclusive value chain approaches that benefit smallholder and ethnic minority farmers in the project area that cover aquaculture and peanut production and 2) the project implementation in field. As the main focus is on aquaculture value chain development, the incumbent candidate should have a strong aquaculture background.
Field coordination task
The Field Coordination task will include the coordination of day-to-day implementation of the project on the ground, working closely with local communities, government, project partners, donor and key stakeholders (such as donors, companies, NGOs, development partner agencies etc.).
Establishing and strengthening relationships
- The candidate will be expected to develop and strengthen working relationships with key partners to ensure smooth implementation, including with: government agencies at provincial, district and grassroots levels, as well as with other key relevant partners and stakeholders such as companies, other development partners/projects, NGOs and local communities.
Organising project activities/field work
- The Field Coordinator needs to develop detailed implementation plans e.g., for improving knowledge and techniques of aquaculture and cultivation for the community, value chain actors, communes, with target villages or groups of beneficiaries.
- The Field Coordinator will organise and monitor project activities and field work (such as surveys, trainings, agricultural extension, forest protection, and community development) activities with local partners and communities on the ground. This will involve basic administrative tasks such as preparing permission letters, identifying venues for workshops, or other suppliers of goods/services that the project may need in line with relevant SNV procedures and cost norms under guidance by SNV colleagues and Project Manager.
- Supporting implementation and documentation of project activities/field work such as accompanying consultants and other project staff on field visits, supporting facilitation of events, acting as a resource person for surveys, workshops or other project activities in the field.
Accounting, financial management and reporting
- Work closely with the project assistant and finance department on basic project financial accounting, monitoring and reporting tasks
- Prepare monthly report to project manager and brief reports on project activities to contribute to SNV newsletters and participation to workshops, conferences.
Technical assistant and other tasks
The incumbent is expected to work closely with DARD and relevant sub-departments such as Agriculture Extension Centre, Aquaculture and crop production sub-departments and experts to:
- Provide regular supervision and recommendations for the sustainable of agriculture and aquaculture production to local farmers
- Advise businesses on sustainable practices
- Promote and participate in public-private-producer partnership for inclusive value chain development
- Contribute to the development of SNV’s portfolio on aquaculture in Vietnam.
- Resource mobilization activities for SNV Vietnam as per set targets
- Other tasks as required by the Project Manager or Sector Leader
- Bachelor degree in agriculture, aquaculture or related fields
- At least 5 years’ experience working in aquaculture, mangrove forest systems, value chain development as well as rural development.
- Specific working knowledge and professional experience relevant to key activities in this project and familiar with Tra Vinh and Mekong delta region will be a distinct advantage
- Proven record of working with local stakeholders (donors, government, local farmers, private companies)
- Experience in organising field activities such as trainings, agriculture extension, community development activities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (spoken & written). Working knowledge in English is an advantage
- Computer proficiency in Windows and Office based programs
Contract Type: Employment contract
Contract Duration: 12 months, full-time, with possibility of extension
Expected Start Date: ASAP
Duty Station: Duyen Hai town, Tra Vinh province
Travel to Projects: Travel within Vietnam is expected
Report to: Project Manager
How to apply?
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation in English until 24th September 2023.
Applicants will be requested to provide us with the contact details of three people who are willing to act as a reference. We will only contact these references after your explicit permission.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with a Selection Committee will take place.
SNV is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Working at SNV:
Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org/careers.
SNV strives to be an inclusive employer, thriving on the diversity of its people and does not discriminate on the base of disability status, religion, ethnic origin, gender and sexual orientation, etc.
At SNV we prioritise safety and security for all employees. We conduct thorough background and reference checks concerning possible safeguarding incidents for all candidates applying for International determined positions. As SNV participates in the Inter-Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme, all reference checks include a request to past employers to fill in a questionnaire regarding Misconduct (sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment), the “Statement of Conduct". This Statement of Conduct adopts the definitions used in the Scheme.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.