Senior WASH Engineer Intern
- Contract type: Internships
SNV Netherlands Development Organization is an international not-for-profit development organization, working in 24 countries worldwide. We focus on achieving impact in Energy, Agriculture and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. One of SNV’s current WASH projects in Tanzania is the WASH SDG Programme. It aims to sustainably improve access to and use of sanitation services, along with improved hygiene behaviours, in urban areas of Shinyanga Municipality and Arusha City, running from 2017-2024. It is built on three core strategic objectives, namely (1) increasing demand for improved WASH facilities and practices, (2) improving the quality-of-service provision and by (3) improving governance of the sector. The programme will contribute to achieving access to safely managed sanitation and improved hygiene behaviour for 160,000 and 200,000 people respectively in peri-urban/urban areas of Shinyanga and Arusha municipalities/cities.
The Programme is looking to recruit an energetic WASH Engineer intern to support the programme with implementation of on the ground activities in Arusha City related to; Technical support related to the Muriet Faecal Sludge Treatment Plant (FSTP), effluent quality monitoring support (sampling & laboratory), faecal Sludge re-use initiatives, other engineering related tasks linked to WASH SDG interventions, including additional research required; Monitoring and follow up support linked to on the ground activities such as coordination for organised meetings, follow up on agreed action points, spot checks on infrastructure interventions and other ongoing activities.
- The successful applicant will undergo a short orientation to be provided by the respective supervisor to properly introduce the intern to the SNV efforts globally, the SNV country sector programs with specific induction to the WASH SDG project.
- The intern will work closely with the project team in their respective areas including Partners and consultants hired under the project.
- The intern will be based in the Arusha SNV Office and provided with office space and use of SNV transport for site visits
To successfully support the WASH SDG SNV Team with Technical and Engineering support in close collaboration with Arusha Water Supply and Sanitation Authority (AUWSA) linked to Faecal Sludge Treatment Plant (FSTP) monitoring, Effluent Quality monitoring support (supervise sampling & laboratory analysis, and reporting), support on technical activities documentation (Weekly and Monthly reports), provision of technical support to FSTP operators and AUWSA, ACC operation team, Faecal Sludge re-use initiatives (linked to briquettes monitoring), and support in the development & reviewing engineering drawings (CAD drawings) – if required, and research initiatives; (70% of time)
To successfully support the WASH SDG SNV Team with Monitoring and follow ups: this is linked to; monitoring, follow ups and spot checks on the technical infrastructure interventions (linked to public toilets works and other onsite and offsite sanitation systems in schools and healthcare facilities); supervision support of, consultants and masons assigned to different technical interventions supported; and occasionally support with organising meetings and action points follow ups linked to the WASH SDG programme. (30% of time).
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Preferably in Water and Sanitation engineering, Environmental Engineering, Civil engineering or equivalent).
- Practical experience of WASH technical or engineering field works linked to Faecal Sludge Management and Sanitation systems.
- Experience of developing technical engineering or CAD drawings an advantage.
- Experience of working relations with LGAs and Urban water utilities is an advantage.
- Experience of sampling, data collection, laboratory analysis and technical report writing is an advantage
- Experience in supervising or working with contractors, consultants and masons.
- Understanding of the protocols and how the Urban water utilities and local government authorities works an advantage
- Good understanding of the WASH sector particularly urban sanitation issues in Tanzania.
- Innovative, entrepreneurial, business oriented.
- Good team player, pragmatic, negotiator and solution oriented
- Readiness to work and travel frequently in the field
- Excellent listening skills combined with strong oral and written communication skills (in English and Swahili).
- Self-starter, strong ability to work well alone and with others.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
Reporting to: Programme Manager (with technical line to team’s Urban Sanitation Engineer)
Contract Type: Internship contract
Contract Duration: Four months
Expected Start Date: September 2023
Working at SNV
SNV offers a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of Agriculture experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org.
How to Apply
The vacancy is for internal and external candidate and it will active up to 13th August 2023 and all applications should be through Smart Recruiters on the following link https://careers.smartrecruiters.com/SNV.