Knowledge Management Officer
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a mission-driven global development partner working in more than 20 countries across Africa and Asia. Building on 60 years of experience and grounded in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, we work on the core themes of gender equality and social inclusion, climate adaptation and mitigation, and strong institutions and effective governance. Our mission is to strengthen capacities and catalyse partnerships that transform the agri-food, energy, and water systems, which enable sustainable and more equitable lives for all. For more information, please refer to our website: www.snv.org
In Bangladesh, SNV had initiated urban water (primarily in Sanitation) programme from 2014 in southern cities and have been proactively engaged in National level to support urban sanitation initiatives. SNV under the Urban Sanitation Programme with the support from BMGF and DGIS aims to support Local Authorities (Khulna and Gazipur City Corporations, Kushtia, Jhenaidah, Jessore and Benapole Paurashavas) to address service delivery challenges in sanitation and advance the sector development, through strategic engagement with Government Agencies and partnering with other experienced civil society and private sector organisations working in the sector.
SNV believes in rethinking, reforming, and enhancing institutional structures to lessen the impact of rapid urbanisation and climate threats. To do this, we must seek ways to improve the governance and practices of the waste management, drainage, and water supply sectors. In Bangladesh, the local government is responsible for water, sanitation, drainage, and solid waste, often needing more local capacities. Private sector engagement plays a crucial role in making cities more sustainable, but accountability and performance still need improvement. SNV has been working with different stakeholders to set up PPPs with clearer rules of engagement and oversight to strengthen performance accountability by adopting a holistic approach to a sustainable urban water cycle. In continuation of this, and in close collaboration with the two responsible national departments – the Department of Public Health Engineering (DPHE) and the Local Government Engineering Department (LGED) SNV is heading towards a new approach of promoting Sustainable Urban Water Cycle in Bangladesh. Supporting this, the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Bangladesh has awarded SNV a new project in Bangladesh titled "Transitioning to sustainable urban water cycles in Bangladesh".
The objective of this project is to improve sanitation, solid waste, and drainage water management to protect the health and well-being of around 1.8 million people in 12 cities and towns by increasing access to safe, essential urban services (sanitation, solid waste, stormwater management). Moreover, the project will initiate improvements in relevant water resource management indicators at the city level over five years.
The project envisages following 6 (six) outcomes to support city-wide inclusive services by professionalisation and financial viability of urban sanitation and solid waste facilities.
- Strengthened capacities to support city-wide inclusive services.
- Increased professionalisation and financial viability of urban sanitation and solid waste services.
- Strengthened governance, regulation, enforcement, and monitoring capacity.
- Strengthened performance, integration and circularity of treatment, reuse, and recycling.
- More responsive strategic communication towards consumer behaviours.
- Improved capacity and preparedness for city-level floods and droughts.
The project will work in various geographically and ecologically diverse areas across Bangladesh. Four city corporations and eight paurashavas – grouped into following six clusters. The cities are: Rajshahi, Sylhet, Cumilla and Khulna City Corporation, and Chapainawabganj, Shibganj, Bogura, Joypurhat, Lalmonirhat, Moulvibazar, Chhatak, and Bagerhat municipality.
The project aligns with the long-term Bangladesh Delta Plan (BDP) 2100; and related national commitments on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), most notably SDG 6 on achieving inclusive and sustainable safely managed sanitation, SDG11 around solid waste and water-related risks, and SDG13 around resilience, adaptive capacity and greenhouse gas emissions.
Context and purpose of the job
The project aims to achieve systems change towards a sustainable urban water cycle (SUWC) at the city level and contribute to the national level. We follow a systematic process through all interventions to ensure the approach is institutionalised within the LGIs e.g., City corporations, Paurashavas, strong coordination with WASA’s, Development authorities, DC/UNO office etc.
SNV is actively engaged at national level on advocacy and support to the national government in different platforms and dissemination of learnings through networks. By accompanying the DPHE and LGED during the implementation of their national projects, SNV will have the opportunity to demonstrate, convince, and influence change and to improve the way best practices are currently implemented. At the national level it closely works with Policy Support Branch (PSB) of Local Government Division, CWIS-FSM Support Cell of DPHE, and CWIS Capacity Hub (ITN-BUET), FSM Network Bangladesh, and other relevant agencies and platform.
The Knowledge Management (KM) Officer will be responsible for developing and implementing knowledge management strategies and initiatives to capture, organize, and share knowledge across SUWC project, and other SNV's projects, and will work closely with various teams and stakeholders to promote a culture of learning, innovation, and continuous improvement. The KM Officer will facilitate the creation, sharing, and utilization of knowledge to drive SNV's mission of sustainable development and poverty reduction.
Job Responsibilities/ Result areas
- Develop the strategy and action plan for knowledge management of the projects in progress.
- Develop and implement knowledge management strategies and initiatives that align with SNV's goals and objectives.
- Design and implement systems, processes, and tools to capture, organize, and share knowledge effectively, including documentation, databases, intranet, and other knowledge platforms.
- Provide guidance, workshop, and support to project teams in identifying, documenting, and disseminating best practices, lessons learned, and success stories to facilitate organizational learning and improvement.
- Facilitate knowledge sharing events, workshops, and communities of practice to encourage collaboration, learning, and innovation among SNV staff, partners, and stakeholders.
- Develop and deliver training programs and resources on knowledge management concepts, tools, and techniques to build the capacity of SNV staff in knowledge management practices.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of knowledge management initiatives and recommend improvements based on feedback and lessons learned.
- Stay updated with the latest trends, innovations, and best practices in knowledge management and incorporate them into SNV's knowledge management strategies and practices.
- Collaborate with other internal and external stakeholders to promote cross-learning, networking, and knowledge exchange. / Participate in different national events etc..
- Contribute to the development of reports, articles, and publications to share SNV's knowledge and insights with external audiences.
- Develop a knowledge capturing and dissemination plan, in collaboration with the Sector Leader/ Project Manager and the team. Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the KM plan and strategies and recommend improvements.
- Build rapport, professional relation and close communication and coordination with relevant program stakeholders at the national and regional level.
- Provide support to the Communication Advisor/Governance and Advocacy Advisor/Sector Leader/Project Manager and the team in developing communication and advocacy materials, including brochures, factsheets, reports, policy briefs, etc.
- Support in organising and facilitating field visits for key stakeholders to share experiences and good practices.
- Provide training and capacity-building support, when needed, to the Sector Leader/Project Manager and the team on advocacy best practices.
- Engage and participate in other activities as will be deemed necessary for project implementation and will be assigned by Sector Leader/Project Manager.
The above list of job responsibilities is not exclusive or exhaustive and the position will be required to undertake any assigned responsibilities assigned by his/her supervisor as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the position.
Master's Degree in English, development studies, anthropology, sociology, political science, or relevant disciplines.
Desired Experience, Knowledge, Skills, and Competencies:
- Experience: Minimum 5 years demonstrated professional experience in knowledge management, with a successful track record.
- Knowledge: A strong understanding of both qualitative and quantitative research, and the development-sector landscape in Bangladesh are necessary. Additionally, familiarity with the WASH, Environment, and Water Resources sectors is important.
- Skills: It is necessary excellent writing skills in English, including the ability to master the research methodologies and tools, as this position need to capture and write all the knowledge SNV generates through its’ programmes. Collaboration skills, including the ability to build and maintain relationships with stakeholders, are essential.
- Competencies: The candidate should be strategic, analytical, and able to think critically. The position should also be able to work independently, manage multiple priorities, and adapt to changing situations quickly. Being able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines is also important.
- Technical skills: Proficiency in using technology and software tools, such as data analytics, and content management systems, is an advantage.
- Personal characteristics: Knowledge Management Officer should be passionate about the issues she/he work on and committed to making a positive impact. She/he should also have a strong work ethic, be self-motivated, and have a positive attitude. A good sense of humour, flexibility, and creativity can also be assets in this role.
Duty station : Bogura with frequent travel to respective project cities
Contract Duration : 2 (two) years with a possibility of extension depending on performance and availability of funds.
Expected Joining Date : As soon as possible.
Working Hours : Full time (minimum of 40 hours per week)
Salary & Benefits : Competitive salary & benefits depending on the selected candidate’s work experience and competencies. Gratuity, provident fund , insurance coverage will be followed by SNV Bangladesh HR Manual policy
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position.
How to Appy
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by submitting a brief letter of motivation (1 page) and your CV (not more than 3 pages). Your CV should highlight your prior work achievements; it should not be a list of your current or prior job responsibilities. Please apply through SmartRecruiters link below by 20 June 2023.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Any form of solicitation by phone or other means will be treated as disqualification of the candidate. SNV is an equal employment provider.