Technical Advisor Agri-Food System and Financing
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that makes a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty by helping them raise incomes and access basic services. We focus on three sectors – agriculture, energy, and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) – and have a long-term, local presence in 24 countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Our team of approximately 1,300 people is the backbone of SNV. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
SNV’s 2030 strategy aims to contribute to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through effective programme delivery and influencing, with a central focus on transforming agri-food, energy, and water systems to enable sustainable and more equitable lives for all. We position ourselves as a learning organisation striving for excellence and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
We apply our practical know-how to deliver results at scale. Driven by the Sustainable Development Goals, we are dedicated to a society in which all people are free to pursue their own sustainable development, and no one is left behind. By connecting our global expertise with our extensive and longstanding in-country experiences, we help realise locally owned solutions. Our services include advice, brokering and stakeholder engagement, advocacy, fund management, results-based financing, and delegated management.
SNV has been working in Nepal since 1980 and is active in Agri-Food, Energy and Water sectors.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
Climate change remains one of the biggest challenges of today. Already its impacts are being felt by people and nature across the globe, with developing countries being most affected. In context of Nepal agriculture sector is most affected by the impact of climate change which resulted in challenges for food security. Applying climate smart agricultural practices reduces the risks from climate change and lowers greenhouse gas emissions while increasing productivity and incomes. Currently, most businesses do not fully understand their exposure to climate change or recognize the growing business opportunities in climate action. Changing agri-businesses behavior is pivotal to shift food systems to sustainable practices and realize climate change adaptation and mitigation in agriculture.
The Dutch Fund for Climate and Development (DFCD) program enables private sector investment in projects aimed at climate change adaptation and mitigation in developing countries with special focus on climate resilient agriculture. The DFCD provides finance and Technical Assistance to projects with a focus on climate change adaptation, to mobilize external private sector funding at scale.
Overview of the position
This is a long-term position and SNV Nepal seeks a talented, result-oriented and proven professional who will work with the country team in Nepal to support aforementioned initiative in close coordination with financial institutions and private sectors.
The technical advisor reports to Project Management Advisor (PMA) and collaborates closely with the SNV global DFCD team and SNV global agri-food team. The Technical Advisor will provide inputs in Climate Change and Agri-Food.
- Support PMA to carry out independent assessments of market linkages opportunities for climate resilient agricultural products; to carry out climate resilience inputs assessment; independent assessment on financial products for rural cooperatives; assessment of the optimum cooperative structure and size; to support work activities related to cooperative formation; to organize climate resilient capacity building activities; to identify pipeline of private sector projects related to climate resilient agriculture, sustainable forestry; to help partner bank to develop in-house skills for identification and assessment of agricultural and climate change related investment/business opportunities.
- Coordinate the consultants and ensure the timeline and quality of deliverables.
- Support project partners to organize and delivery different capacity building activities.
- Support to develop awareness campaign so that potential customers understand climate change, understand resiliency, and understand available financial products.
- Work with candidates to develop de-risking business plan, which is in alignment with the spirit of the DFCD.
- Conceptualize new ideas and develop project concept papers, proposals, financial tools etc. relevant to agriculture sector.
- Represent SNV Nepal in global agri-food sector leader meetings.
- Any other similar activities in consultation with SNV Nepal and global team.
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant technical field like agriculture science, agriculture engineering, agriculture economics, Agri business, business administration, management etc. Master’s degree preferred.
- 7+ years of relevant experience in agriculture sector, Agri business, cooperatives and micro finance, climate financing, capacity building.
- Proven experience in developing investment plans in the agri-food sector and knowledge of financial tools
- Knowledge on contemporary issues and trends in (inter) national agriculture sector.
- Demonstrated network and PR with financial institutions, private sector and relevant stakeholders in Nepal;
- Interest to collaborate, contribute to and learn from peers in SNV’s global network;
- Experiences that demonstrate high quality attributes on leadership, facilitations and coaching and innovativeness.
- Excellent communications skills - spoken and written, both in English and Nepali and possess good report writing skills;
- Good inter-personal skills and capacity to work effectively with a range of institutions.
Contract Duration : Initial 1 year (aiming to become a long term position)
Contract Type : National Employment Contract (Full Time)
Expected Start Date : ASAP
Duty Station : Kathmandu with frequent field visit in project districts
Working at SNV : SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, with growing opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to enhance your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of Agri-Food Specialist with innovative thinking in the Development Sector.
How to Apply:
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation indicating salary expectations by clicking on the "I'm interested" button before April 12, 2023
SNV is a global organisation committed to bringing together different people, ideas, and perspectives different. We especially invite women to submit their applications to increase the number of women in SNV leadership positions.
We will require that you provide us with the full details of three people who are willing to act as a reference. We will not contact these references without your explicit permission.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All information will be in the strictest confidence.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement