Rural Water Supply Service (RWSS) Advisor
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that makes a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty by helping them raise incomes and access basic services. We focus on three sectors – Agriculture, Energy, and Water – and have a long-term, local presence in 24 countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Our team of just over 1,300 people is the backbone of SNV.
We apply our practical know-how to deliver results at scale. Driven by the Sustainable Development Goals, we are dedicated to a society in which all people are free to pursue their own sustainable development, and no one is left behind. This commitment to equity directs us to focus on gender and youth. By connecting our global expertise with our extensive and longstanding in-country experiences, we help realise locally-owned solutions.
Our services include advice, brokering and stakeholder engagement, advocacy, fund management, results-based financing, and delegated management.
We realise our impact through direct results and systems change. Our projects directly benefit millions of people and drive systems change – strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets to help many more people work their way out of poverty, well beyond the scope of projects.
We are committed to operational excellence and are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation, implementing our mission exclusively through project financing. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence every day.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
SNV Nepal was our first office in Asia, commencing in 1980. Since then we have directly impacted the lives of people in some of the poorest districts of the country. Currently we operate in 4 of 7 provinces across Nepal. Our work is aligned with the development priorities of the government of Nepal and integrates the strengthening of the new federal structure at federal, provincial and local level. To know more about SNV Nepal project visit https://snv.org/country/nepal#projects
In Nepal, under the water sector, one of the projects implemented in Dailekh and Sarlahi districts Beyond the Finish Line (BFL) - Inclusive and Sustainable Rural Water Supply Services (2018- 2022). This project has funded by The DFAT Australia, Water for Women (WfW) Fund. The project contributed to improve health, gender equality and social inclusion, and well-being of the rural communities in Dailekh and Sarlahi by supporting inclusive, sustainable, and resilient rural water supply services and hygiene behaviour change communication for households, schools and health facilities as a role model for inclusive WASH services.
Currently, SNV is preparing for implementation of an extension phase for next two years (2023-2024) period with focus on inclusion and climate resilience in WASH. The climate resilience inclusive rural water supply service project aims to support adaptation and strengthen resilience through SNV’s Climate Resilient Rural WASH Approach. The project aims to contribute strengthened decentralised water supply sector systems, increase equitable universal access, increase voice and influence within local government, CSOs, communities and households and utilisation of new evidence, innovation and practices for water supply and hygiene services.
The key components are strengthening the capacity of local government and stakeholders towards i) WASH Governance, ii) Performance of service providers, iii) quality of rehabilitation and construction, iv) Behaviour Change, and supply chain and finance.
SNV Nepal is looking for a talented engineer (Nepali citizen) to join the SNV WASH team as Rural Water Supply Service (RWSS) Advisor
The Rural Water Supply Service (RWSS) Advisor will support the project leader and team for technical, strategic support for updating the rural municipalities climate resilient water supply strategies, planning, design of the training course, contents, guidelines, facilitation of capacity building of service providers, monitoring and reporting in relation achievement of project deliverables. S/he will work with project Leader and thematic advisors to support the SNV District Coordinators, Local partners and Rural Municipalities. S/he will be involved in attending national, provincial, local level coordination and sector stakeholders learning sharing meetings and represent SNV and project team. S/he will contribute to the project team for documentation of effort, technical survey, design, drawings, budget estimates, procurement process documentation, reports related to climate resilient water supply scheme upgrading, rehabilitation/construction. Support Rural Municipalities for water quality testing service function strengthening climate resilient water safety planning and implementation.
Responsibilities will include but not limited to:
- Overall, the RWSS Advisor will work with and support the Project Leader, District Coordinators and Thematic Advisor for accelerating the implementation of inclusive and climate resilient rural water supply service project in two Rural Municipalities (RMs) of Dailekh and two RMs of Sarlahi.
- The Rural Municipalities of Dailekh and Sarlahi already have the Water Supply Strategy. However, the existing strategy shall require amendments in line with vulnerability risks. The RWSS Advisor will contribute for coordination with research partners (International Water Management Institute (IWMI) and UTS Institute for Sustainable Futures) and Rural Municipalities for necessary improvement in the existing strategies.
- Support RMs for improving the effectiveness of water quality testing services from recently established water quality testing labs.
- Facilitate RMs for prioritising the investment in Water Quality, Climate Resilient Water Safety planning and implementation
- Develop and design economic and person with disability friendly models of rural water supply structures, so that local partner team and RMs can scale up of practicing inclusive, accessible and resilient Rural water supply structure (tap stands, tube wells) design.
- Capacitate Project Team and RMs on Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) and Climate Change Resilient Planning and implementation of Rural Water Supply Services.
- Capacitate RMs on Rural Water Supply Scheme data base maintaining and updating.
- Capacitate the RMs and Ward level technical team, WASH focal person and WASH CCs at Ward, RM level on the post- construction support services;
- Ensure the quality of works at sites are as per the drawings and the Engineering Norms & Standards.
- Prepare GESI inclusive, safely managed water services, stories, blogs, documents on good practices contribute for preparation of knowledge products.
- Use the projects’ baseline results on impact and capacity indicators for addressing the issues related to level of service improvement at households, school and health facilities.
- Maintain coordination with relevant water sector stakeholders at national level and provincial level as per need and use the forums for sharing learning from the project.
- Any other assignment as assigned by line manager which contributes to achieving the impact and outcomes results
- Bachelor's in civil engineering or equivalent with minimum 7 years’ experience in rural water supply schemes survey, inclusive and accessible design, estimation, drawing, procurement process, quality contribution of construction gravity fed piped water supply, rainwater harvesting, handpumps installation, upgrading works.
- Experience on assessing climate change hazards, impacts on rural water supply systems and resilience related responses.
- Experience on working with local, provincial and federal level governments, water sector multi-stakeholders,
- Expertise on capacity building training design, delivery for Rural Municipalities, rural water supply service providers/operators for smooth functioning and sustainable use of rural water supply services (post- construction supports).
- Experience with training manual/ strategy/ guideline development, Standard Operating Procedure preparation and facilitation,
- Experience on climate resilience water safety planning, water quality testing, NWASH Plan preparation.
- Experience on mainstreaming gender, equality, disability and social inclusion while planning, decision making and facilitating the rural water supply service, hygiene behaviour change related interventions.
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently to rural municipalities and rural water supply scheme sites.
- Good communication / Team Work skill.
- Proficiency in English and Nepali speaking, reading and writing required
- Ability to work under pressure and within the tight timeframe.
Reports to : Project Leader
Contract Duration : 1 year (with possibility of extension)
Contract Type : National Employment Contract
Expected Start Date : ASAP
Duty Station : Kathmandu with frequent visits to project areas in Dailekh and Sarlahi District
Working at SNV : SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of WASH team.
How to Apply:
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation indicating salary expectations by clicking on the "I'm interested" button before January 29, 2023
We will require that you provide us with the full details of three people who are willing to act as a reference. We will not contact these references without your explicit permission.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
SNV is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
All information will be in the strictest confidence.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement