Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Advisor
- Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 39 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
In May 2018 the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs/DGIS awarded SNV (Netherlands Development Organisation) the Climate Smart Agriculture East Africa (CSA-EA – now known as the Climate Resilient Agribusinesses for Tomorrow (CRAFT)) project (Activity #4000000819) which is being implemented in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. This five-year project is being implemented by SNV in partnership with Wageningen University (WU) and Wageningen Environmental Research (WEnR), CGIAR’s Climate Change Agriculture and Food Security Program (CCAFS), Agriterra, and Rabo Partnerships (RP). The project is expected to leverage at least €10 million in additional private sector investments. The consortium offers a strong platform to not only manage and coordinate a robust Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) project, but also provide targeted technical assistance, business facilitation, and research and knowledge management support. The consortium partners are also leveraging and creating synergies with existing programs as well as public and private sector partners in the three targeted countries, thereby creating the institutional environment for wide-scale adoption of CSA practices and technologies.
The overall project goal is to contribute to increased availability of accessible and climate resilient food for the growing population in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. This is being realized through the implementation of three strategic objectives, namely:
· Increased productivity and income for 300,000 smallholder farmers;
· Improved business performance for 50 agribusiness SMEs and 30 cooperatives (of which at least 25% are managed by women and/or youth);
· Climate resilient sustainable food production practiced on 600,000 hectares.
The key project interventions areas include:
· Climate risk analysis of major food value chains and identification of business opportunities in CSA;
· Business case development and climate smart investments support to the private sector, SMEs and cooperatives;
· Investment leveraging through facilitating access to finance;
· Policy influencing and operationalization of climate plans;
· Feedback on practical applicability of CSA technologies, models, and climate science;
· Knowledge sharing among countries and networks.
Overview of the Position:
CRAFT is in its third year of implementation. With so much that has been done and captured with and through the private and public sector partnerships there is a need to intensify the level of effort in that regard to be able to tell a complete story. CRAFT therefore needs to continue monitoring progress, evaluate achievement and document lessons that informs continuous evidence-based learning. The project understands that monitoring and evaluation (M&E) should also inform and steer adaptations to technical strategies. Against this background, CRAFT is looking to recruit an experienced, self-driven, result oriented and committed monitoring, evaluation and learning professional to fill the available vacancy of ME&L Advisor.
· The ME&L Advisor will be responsible for ensuring quality implementation of the ME&L plan and framework, and availability of and access to relevant M&E data, findings, and project learnings to project staff, SNV management, the donor, partners and other stakeholders. A large part of the work consists of obtaining high quality reliable data and ensuring that data entered in the monitoring information system is cleaned, validated and presented in an user friendly manner;
· Overall responsible for data quality management as collected by business champions;
· Conduct data verification and validation exercises of business cases data in collaboration with technical advisors and interns;
· Conduct baseline and annual survey training of enumerators, data collection data management and quality assurance during field work;
· Farmer Profiling, support new Business Champions in farmer profiling and ensure farmers are formally profiled using CRAFT farmer profiling/registration forms and corresponding clean details uploaded in the CRAFT MIS system;
· Conduct routine physical monitoring visits of BC activities to assess the quality of activity implementation, milestones and indicator results reported;
· Support the business champions with monitoring, evaluation and learning processes including recruitment and supervision of data interns, consultants, and other ME&L personnel;
· Take a lead in developing workplans, data aggregation and reporting as required by the donor;
· Support training of staff/partners in ME&L related trainings as determined from time to time;
· Manage a team of SNV M&E interns who are seconded to selected business champions;
· Leads the development and implementation of the internal and external knowledge development processes, including the sharing of critical lessons documented and disseminated and applied in the day-to-day implementation of interventions;
· Facilitate periodic project reviews and learning forums and ensure proper documentations of findings and learnings;
· Liaise with the technical staff, PMU ME&L personnel and SNV data aggregator (Omni-Tech) to develop appropriate or improve measurable results and progress milestones and methods for data collection;
· Work jointly with all relevant CRAFT and SNV staff;
· The ME&L Advisor will liaise on a regular basis with project management and partners on project progress, approach, and processes. S/he will participate in project management team meetings, staff meetings and other relevant project activities and events
· A relevant academic qualification: Bachelor’s degree in monitoring and evaluation, statistics, economics, quantitative economics, business administration. A master’s degree is an added advantage;
· Minimum of five years of experience of working with or in development projects in data collection, monitoring and evaluation, data analysis, preferably in the agricultural sector;
· Ability and demonstrated experience of designing data collection and analysis tools for field application;
· Hands on experience in facilitating and/or training field-based partners in the use of monitoring and evaluation/data collection tools;
· Excellent communication (both written and oral), report writing and presentation skills;
· Good understanding of excel to perform data analyses;
· Experience working with online survey applications for data collection;
· Willingness to travel to all project locations.
Desired Skills and attitude:
· Analytical skills combined with a practical and pragmatic approach oriented towards lasting results;
· Strong interpersonal and influence skills and experience of working in a matrix organization;
· Good team player, pragmatic, negotiator with solution orientated approach;
· Readiness to live, work and travel in rural districts with minimal amenities;
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, in English and Kiswahili, including reporting and presentation skills.
Contract Type: National
Contract Duration: 1 year
Expected Start Date: January 2022
Duty Station: Dar es Salaam
Working at SNV:
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of Energy experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org.
How to Apply:
The vacancy is for internal and external candidates, the deadline for submission is 19th November 2021 and all applications should be through Smart Recruiters on the following link https://careers.smartrecruiters.com/SNV
Please submit your cover letter, most recent CV and include contacts of 3 references using the online portal.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.