Country Project Manager
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its current Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation - by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organization, with decentralized management.
For more information on our operations in Kenya and SNV generally visit our website: www.snv.org
The Climate Resilient Agribusiness for Tomorrow (CRAFT) Programme is a 5-year, € 36 million project being implemented in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda, which started in June 2018. The project uses an inclusive Business Development approach to support the international and Dutch efforts on climate change and sustainable production in arable farming. The programme will work with and through the private sector and supports public sector partners in creating an institutional environment for wide-scale adoption of CSA-practices. It is driven by 3 pillars: i) adoption of CSA practices & technologies in arable crop production farming systems; ii) acceleration of investments and business growth in selected value chains; iii) improved enabling environment for scaling out of CSA. Interventions are centred on business cases which are derived from a thorough climate risk assessment and financial analysis of value chains in pulses, oilseeds, potatoes and grains. A climate smart business case innovation and investment facility aims to further improve access to finance and facilitate scaling. The programme is implemented by a consortium consisting of SNV, Wageningen University & Research (WUR), the CGIAR research programme on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS), Agriterra and Rabo Partnership, and is financed by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs (DGIS).
The Country Project Manager has the responsibility to support the development and implementation of business and service provider cases whereby climate smart agriculture interventions are integrated into the value chain from an agronomic, financial and inclusion perspective. Prioritised value chain commodities are pulses, oilseed, potatoes and grains. The incumbent will identify and support business cases for the co-investment fund and broker access to finance and investment of the businesses. S/he will coordinate and work with financial institutional partners to scale climate smart investments. As country project manager the incumbent will be responsible for the day-to-day management and coordination of all Kenya related project activity planning, implementation, M&E, communication, reporting and related budget expenditures, as well as CRAFT country team/staff supervision. S/He will enhance the quality and visibility of the CRAFT project within the national Agriculture sector and Climate & Business-related platforms. S/he will coordinate with consortium partners the country level activities, using their expertise to increase the quality of implementation and documentation of the projects work. The incumbent will take on delegated responsibility as appropriate and needed from the multi-country project manager.
The PM reports directly to the overall Programme Manager for CRAFT East Africa and the Kenya Country Director and collaborates closely with the agriculture global sector team.
Key Areas of Responsibilities;
- Programme Management;
- Project quality assurance;
- Contract Management & Project Accounting;
- People Management & Team Leadership;
- Analysis & Reporting;
- Knowledge Development and
With the following tasks and responsibilities;
- Support agribusiness/service provider and multi-stakeholder platforms to promote, advise and jointly agree on climate proofing value chains, policy recommendations and climate smart investments.
- Technical coaching of the CRAFT-Kenya team for the development, implementation and monitoring as well as eventual close-out of the cases.
- Manage the in-country project in all aspects of project management: budgets, financial management and activity reporting, work planning, monitoring & evaluation, human resources (PAR/PRDP, recruitment, consultancies, etc.);
- Maintain and safeguard high quality project deliverables, based on donor requirements, CRAFT branding standards and general SNV Kenya representational needs;
- Contribute to the development of the Kenya project annual reports and work plans, as well as regular donor updates and knowledge products as requested and needed;
- Oversee and support any other tasks as assigned relating to country project implementation and report to the MC PM as well as the Kenya SL and/ or CD.
- Support the CRAFT Kenya team in developing and maintaining a healthy and balanced business/service provider case pipeline.
- Reviewing and finalizing cases ready for final approval by the CRAFT PMU and onward approval for the IAC – ensuring all basic investment facility criteria are adhered to;
- Coordinate with the PMU fund manager the planning and disbursement of grant funds, as well as field-based monitoring and reporting with the Kenya team;
- Broker access to finance and investments between SME’s and financial institutions and advise financial institutions on climate smart business investments to leverage climate finance money.
- Risk Management in implementation of the CIIF country portfolio, work closely with country finance team and PMU to minimise risks in implementation
- Support the implementation and roll-out of business cases.
- Broker access to finance and investments between SME’s and financial institutions.
- Monitor and report the performance of the business cases as per the set milestones.
- Set-up of coaching programs on agribusiness management for female entrepreneurs and youth.
- Support agribusiness platforms to promote, advise and jointly agree on climate proofing value chains, policy recommendations and climate smart investments.
- Manage the in-country programme in all aspects of project management: budgets, work planning, human resource, activities and reporting.
- Oversee and support country project implementation, link and collaborate with the Uganda and Tanzania project managers, and report to the regional project manager.
- A relevant academic qualification: Agribusiness, Agricultural Economy or Business Administration.
- Minimum of ten years of experience of working with or in Agribusiness, preferably in the prioritised commodities (pulses, oilseed, potatoes and grains).
- Knowledge of the prioritized commodities preferably at global level and in Kenya.
- Experience in Climate Change financing, agribusiness development, climate smart agriculture, and agribusiness finance.
- Ability and demonstrated experience of designing and implementation of business cases with Agribusinesses.
- Experience in female and youth entrepreneurship programs.
- Strong agribusiness relationship management experience and focus with the ability to stimulate trust and confidence with clients and investors including managing various stakeholders.
- Understanding of climate change risk management and inclusion of smallholder producers into the supply chain.
- Proven track record in project management, specifically in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management for large scale comprehensive projects.
- International work experience and the ability to effectively coach and lead a team of advisors in a multi-cultural setting.
- Strong background in resource mobilisation; demonstrated programme design, proposal writing, business development, and international donor relationship management.
- Excellent communication (written and oral), reporting and presentation skills.
- Flexible approach to take on additional responsibilities as assigned/delegated by the Country Director and/or the Multi-country Project Manager.
- Willingness to travel to all project locations.
Contract Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension.
Desired Start Date: November 2021
How to apply
Please apply by clicking on the "I'M INTERESTED” tab on this page and complete your application in our in-house recruitment system before 17th September 2021. Please submit your application letter and CV containing three referees.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.
SNV Kenya does not require you to undergo any medical test prior to employment