Deputy Country Director-Operations
- Lusaka, Zambia
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation is a not-for-profit international development organisation. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in 38 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development. For more information, please refer to our website: www.snvworld.org.
Purpose of the job:
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation - by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organisation and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
SNV Zambia works in 8 provinces, with the Country Office in Lusaka, and field offices in Kasama, Katete, Kabwe and Mazabuka. The programs are supported by various international donors such as SIDA, FCDO and SDC.
For more information on our operations in Zambia and SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
Direction and management of country operations so that support functions which comprise administration, human resources, procurement, logistics/ fleet management, IT are coordinated and implemented efficiently and cost-effectively to respond to programme needs and provide high quality services to staff and external stakeholders at different levels.
Support functions comprise approximately 15 staff in total and includes the efficient operation of four field offices in addition to the country office in Lusaka
- Provide leadership and oversight of SNV Zambia’s day-to-day administration, including property management, procurement, logistics, and human resources.
- Ensure an effective set-up and organisation of SNV Zambia at Country office and field office level, aimed at representation, functional administration and operational systems in place, as well as efficient links between the main country office and the field offices.
- Contribute to enhancing cost efficiency throughout SNV Zambia’s operations
- Provide guidance on matters related to tax, insurance, immigration procedures for expats; labour laws and business processes
- Ensure high quality reporting that allows for proper tracing and tracking of inventory and assets.
- Perform periodic systems checks in administration, logistics, procurement, Security, and fleet management in Lusaka and sub-offices to ensure compliance with SNV and donor standards and requirements, and to ensure responsive support to staff, programs, and partners.
- Effectively manage talent and supervise operations department officers; manage team dynamics, and the development and well-being of support and other staff.
- Lead and coach the support team of SNV Zambia, monitor and coach staff to increase performance;
- Ensure country security plan is regularly updated, adequate and implemented;
- Liaise with the GSU in The Hague via direct contact or SNV Intranet to assure alignment with corporate policies and guidelines.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration or related field;
- Proven track record with over 10 years of experience in a senior management position, coordinating and managing operations, preferably in international NGO settings.
- Experience in managing multidisciplinary and multicultural teams;
- Ability to think strategically, to plan and organise teamwork and work in a network with partners;
- Ability to demonstrate neutrality in a crisis context and to move towards consensus in a sensitive situation;
- Excellent communication, reporting and presentation skills and advanced skills in English;
- Result-oriented and ability to work under pressure.
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time national position with the successful candidate being contracted on a two-year basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The desired start date for this position is as soon as possible
Interested candidates with minimum qualifications may apply by submitting a Cover letter and CV. Closing on is 1st February 2021.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Any form of solicitation by phone or other means will be treated as disqualification of the candidate. SNV is an equal employment provider.