Policy & Legal Advisor
- The Hague, Netherlands
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation is one of the largest Dutch, development organisations with operations in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty, helping them raise incomes and access basic services. Driven by the Sustainable Development Goals, we are dedicated to a society in which all people are free to pursue their own sustainable development, and no one is left behind. This commitment to equity directs us to focus on gender and youth.
We apply our know-how to realise effective solutions and deliver results at scale worldwide. We do this through our local presence and our specialised expertise in agriculture, energy, and water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH). Our projects directly benefit millions of people. At the same time, our projects drive systems change, which helps many more people work their way out of poverty, well beyond the scope of the projects themselves. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation, implementing our mission exclusively through project financing. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence every day.
Corporate Affairs is one of several global units (others are: Finance, HR, Business Development, ICT, Agriculture, Energy and WASH) that support country teams across the globe. Corporate affairs is a new unit that brings together several interrelated corporate functions with the aim to better integrate them, create synergy and to support the CEO and the Managing Board of SNV in their strategic roles. The functions of Corporate Affairs include the support to SNV governance bodies, policy and internal audit, and internal/external communications. Currently, an interim head is establishing the new unit. The function of Policy and Legal Advisor is new.
A new function in a newly composed unit! This is an exciting opportunity to help SNV implement its’ mission by being part of the team Corporate Affairs!
For more information on SNV, visit our website: https://snv.org/
*All applications must be submitted via: https://www.vroomheuvel.com/nl/node/500
Corporate Affairs systematically organises governance processes, coordinates coherent policy, gives legal advice, delivers internal audit, and is responsible for external marketing and communications. This is done by a team of approximately ten skilled professionals with experience in different corporate functions. The Policy Advisor will have a legal background and will complement the team.
The Policy Advisor will coordinate and provide legal analysis and advice to the Managing Board on risks and opportunities concerning corporate legal issues, including registration and tax issues, in the countries SNV operates in.
Corporate Affairs is the permanent “owner” of the SNV Policy house, with the focus being maintained on consistency, integration and coherence of all policies and procedures. Ownership and accountability of individual policies and procedures is with the relevant heads of units and the respective Managing Board member. The Policy Advisor will coordinate policy development and policy maintenance at global and country level.
Together with internal auditors, the policy advisor will carry out control frameworks and organisational assessments.
- Keep country registrations up to date to ensure SNV has a license to operate in the countries it works in.
- Assure up-to-date Power of Attorney to Country Directors.
- Advice on tax regimes, property ownership, and constitution of new legal entities (in conjunction with Finance).
- Mobilise specialised legal expertise.
- Serve as a sparring partner for managers on indicated issues.
- Maintain the Policy House and ensure policy coherence.
- Functional analyst role towards ICT, flagging changes in policies and procedures that lead to changes in authorisation levels in SNV systems.
- Maintain the Global Competency Table and Country Competency Tables.
Carry out control frameworks and organisational assessments, together with internal auditors:
- Coordinate corporate compliance processes including Internal Control Framework (ICF) and Country Self-Assessment (CSA) processes.
- Coordinate donor accreditations and externally demanded organisational assessments (new and updates), as well as advise on corporate compliance items in donor agreements.
- A seasoned professional with a master’s degree in a legal discipline with an international orientation.
- Proven track record with over 7 years in Corporate Affairs or Board Secretariat positions in a culturally diverse, international setting.
- Solid experience in legal advice in a complex international environment.
- Solid experience in coordinating corporate policy consistency, integration and coherence.
- Solid experience in coordinating corporate compliance and accreditation processes.
- Clear communicator including very good writing skills. Fluent in English. Dutch and/or French language skills are an advantage.
- Be persuasive using well-considered argument, personal authority and/or diplomatic skills.
- A flexible team player who is self-directed, detail-oriented, and a proven problem-solver.
- Able to build trust and collaborative working relationships.
- Work methodically and in a structured manner. In doing so, achieve a good balance between speed and exactness.
- High integrity, ethical standards and openness with commitment to good governance.
- Be service oriented.
- Experience in project organisations with multiple financing sources is desirable.
- Thorough understanding and experience in the sector of international development cooperation and/or international consultancy is desirable.
- Willingness to occasionally travel.
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time position offering a competitive – Dutch employment - contract, salary and secondary benefits commensurate with qualifications and experience.
SNV is a global organisation committed to bringing different people, ideas and perspectives together.
How to Apply:
SNV has engaged an external recruitment firm to manage this vacancy.
All applications/questions must be submitted via: https://www.vroomheuvel.com/nl/node/500
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement