Global Accounting Advisor
- The Hague, Netherlands
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical knowledge to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for structural change and scale in its programmes, as well as bringing knowledge and initiatives from different programmes together at country level to contribute to systems’ change. We will continue to position ourselves as a learning organisation striving for excellence and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline. For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
SNV is seeking a dynamic and pragmatic Global Accounting Advisor in our Global Accounting Team located in The Hague. The Global Accounting Team (6 staff) is part of the Global Finance team in The Hague. The Global Finance Team (26 staff) ensures that SNV”s financial systems are robust, compliant and supports current activities and future growth of SNV. The Global Accounting Team exists of accounting experts that oversee, develop, monitor and drive improvements to financial accounting processes and procedures and financial accounting IT systems. The team instructs, reviews and supports countries periodic financial closings, extensive closes and the global consolidated financial statements and related audits to it
The Global Accounting Advisor we are looking for will bring accounting expertise and best practices into SNV, provides in-house advice to country finance teams and (senior) management on accounting issues, at country, global teams and corporate level. (S)he proactively reviews and supports country finance teams around the world. The Global Accounting Advisor will bring improvements to our accounting practices based on his/her expertise, understanding of relevant financial risks and learning and evidence generated through his/her support. (S)he will pro-actively stay up-to-date on changes in accounting practices, developments and best practices on this topic.
- Oversees, develops and maintains accounting manuals, accounting positions papers and accompanying guidance and tools to ensure compliant accounting practices across the organization.
- Prepares instructions and accounting/finance guidelines and procedures for all country finance teams around the world (financial month end close, extensive closes, yearend close and audit)
- Provide advice and support to country finance teams on financial accounting activities, (project) accounting and financial administration and, if needed, can replace a Country Finance Manager at temporary basis and support the Country Director on financial performance of the country.
- Reviews corporate and country financial balances and takes supporting actions where needed. Carries out data quality assessments and improvement initiatives.
- Responsible for the process of preparing management accounts and financial data that provide accurate and timely financial information required. This includes the consolidation of financial data for the hard close and consolidated annual accounts reporting.
- Delivers quality consolidated financial statements and ensures a smooth process of corporate audit (instruct, review and prepare financial statements)
- Advises on, and supports, the financial IT infrastructure in SNV country and global teams.
- Based on evidence from activities and advisory services, identifies risks and opportunities for systems and process improvements, develops and implements solutions to ensure ongoing excellent accounting at SNV. Ensures effective learning between project, country and global team colleagues. This includes designing and delivering of (virtual) trainings to country finance teams in financial accounting processes.
- Masters in relevant field; Finance or Accounting; being a qualified member of an accountancy body of an equivalent qualification is an advantage;
- At least seven years of relevant and demonstrable experience working in finance and accounting.
- In-depth expertise of periodical close and financial reporting processes of group companies; knowledge of accounting standards (SNV applies for group financial statements Dutch GAAP); financial statements preparation and experience with underlying accounting processes (order to cash, purchase to pay, etc);
- Excellent analytical and conceptual thinking skills. Pro-active, pragmatic and solution driven.
- Team player, good facilitator, excellent communicator also in multi-cultural settings;
- Fluency in English (fluency in French is an added advantage). Strong writing skills.
- Working experience with IT systems - SAP preferred
- Willingness to travel periodically when required (not during corona crisis) to SNV operating countries;
- Proven cultural awareness while working in an international setting.
Contract Type Dutch Employment Contract
Contract Duration 1 year with possibility of extension
Expected Start Date As soon as possible
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and international working environment. Our staff benefits from, and contribute to, an internal and global network of experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission.
How to Apply?
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation before 9th of November 2020.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with the Selection Committee will take place.
SNV is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement -