Advisor/Technical Specialist – Off-grid Energy Finance
- Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Contract type: International employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical knowledge to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for structural change and scale in its programmes, as well as bringing knowledge and initiatives from different programmes together at country level to contribute to systems’ change. We will continue to position ourselves as a learning organisation striving for excellence and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline. For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
Energising Development III Programme
The overall goal of SNV’s engagement in the Energy sector in Tanzania is to contribute to improve the livelihoods of the rural and peri-urban people by accelerating the dissemination and use of renewable energy products and services. SNV is the implementing agency for the Energising Development (EnDev) programme in Tanzania. The Tanzania country programme has been under implementation of SNV since 2013 with demonstrated growth in results achievements in both cooking and solar energy. The EnDev III Tanzania programme for the 2019-2022 period focuses on two key components: the development of markets and sustainable supply for improved cook stoves (ICS) as well as for the productive use of renewable energy. This role focuses on the productive use of renewable energy component – a results-based financing fund to accelerate the market for off-grid renewable energy (e.g. solar PV) productive use systems in Tanzania (RBF PU Project). To see more of our work in Tanzania: https://snv.org/country/tanzania
SNV Tanzania is recruiting a full-time Advisor/Technical Specialist to provide technical leadership of the RBF PU Project under EnDev III Programme, a new project currently in inception phase. The Advisor will set the strategic vision for the new project, tailor the design of the results-based financing (RBF) fund through analysing market assessment data, launch the new fund and provide technical expertise in the ongoing management of the fund. The Advisor will also act as the SNV Tanzania sector representative for our work in productive use of energy both locally and regionally.
· Fund Design: Utilise a market assessment report and existing off-grid solar data from previous SNV RBF projects to tailor the design of a results based financing scheme that will be delivered to the private sector to accelerate the market entry and expansion of the productive use of renewable energy technology.
· Fund Management: Develop the final operational guidelines and verification manual of the fund including key elements such as incentive structure and valuation, firm application process, due diligence and contracting, claim submission process, and verification roles and structure, amongst others. Utilise tools and structures from past and current RBF interventions managed by SNV as references and build off of these to create a next generation RBF fund. Determine the best solution for a fund management, verification and monitoring tool and launch the tool internally and with fund participants.
· Technical Advisory: Manage all the mechanics of the RBF PU fund from incentive valuation modelling to claim processing. Apply analytical rigor to complex and uncertain tasks in the development of a new fund.
· Project Management: Provide technical backstopping to the RBF PU Project Manager to develop a small team through defining project roles and workflows for smooth implementation of the component. Support the management of the budget for the RBF PU project including all procurements, claim payments and internal and external reporting. Work closely with the Programme Manager/Sector Leader to develop presentations, knowledge projects or other donor requirements for the component.
· Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Verification (MERV): Manage the MERV processes and team, including interns and third part consultants, to ensure results are tracked and learnings are regularly fed back into fund management mechanisms. Take lead on all results reporting and verification for the RBF PU component and support monitoring and reporting across the EnDev portfolio.
· Gender Integration: Lead the gender integration aspects of the RBF PU fund including the Women’s Employment Stimulus Fund (WESF) that will target to increase female participation in the renewable electricity sector in Tanzania. Innovate new ways to integrate gender into our off-grid energy projects in collaboration with the Sector Leader and EnDev Tanzania Gender Lead.
· Energy Sector Leadership Support: Act as the lead representive for Tanzania Energy Sector’s productive use of energy work. Attend global, regional and local stakeholder gatherings, and provide input on knowledge products. Prepare and give external presentations and take lead on sector networking for PUE. Support the Energy Sector Leader as needed on quality assurance of donor deliverables across the EnDev portfolio.
· Capacity Building: Proactively build capacity of SNV staff and other key stakeholders in the areas of productive use financing and innovative RBF approaches.
Required skills and qualifications:
· 3-4 years of experience in top tier consulting firm, development organisation, impact investing firm or similar
· Master’s degree in a relevant field, MBA or other advanced degree required. Specialisation in Energy Finance or similar will be regarded favourably
· Strong quantitative skills and finance background
· Experience working in the renewable energy sector preferred. Off-grid energy and productive use of energy experience is regarded favourably
· Demonstrated excellent analytical ability and discipline; ability to think clearly, structure problems logically, and then design and implement solutions that focus on the core issues
· Strong sense of ownership and ability to design and lead projects and support and mentor more junior colleagues
· Excellent presentation skills; ability to communicate clearly and effectively with diverse audiences
· Advanced proficiency in MS Excel
· Full professional proficiency in English - written and spoken with high caliber English writing ability and track record
Desired skills and attitude:
· Experience working in developing countries; experience in Tanzania or the broader East Africa region is regarded favourably
· Experience in energy finance and results-based financing is regarded favourably
· Experience in capacity building and working with the private sector with a proven track record in pro-poor growth approaches taking into consideration social inclusion, gender and sustainability
· Experience working with a range of stakeholders (including impact investors, development finance institutions, and development agencies) to support investments in high impact sectors
· Good team player, pragmatic, negotiator with solution orientated approach
· Readiness to live, work and travel in rural districts with minimal amenities
Contract Type: International
Contract Duration: One year initial term, with possibility of extension
Expected Start Date: 1st December 2020
Information Duty Station: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Working at SNV:
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of energy experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org.
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation.
Please submit your application via SmartRecruiters. All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission.
Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with the Selection Committee will take place.
- We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement -