Renewable Energy Officer (Consultants)
- Contract type: Consultancy contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation with long-term, local presence in over 25 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our team works with local partners to equip communities and businesses with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services. SNV works across three sectors: Agriculture, Renewable Energy and WASH. Under Energy sector, SNV Nepal is implementing “EnDev-III Increasing the access to clean energy through pico-hydro and clean cooking technologies in the remote communities of Karnali and Sudurpaschim Provinces of Nepal”. This is the EnDev funded project aims to increase access to clean energy through pico-hydro schemes and clean/improved cooking technologies in the remote communities of Karnali & Sudurpaschim provinces. With regards to pico-hydro promotion, this project aims to develop the pico-hydro schemes to provide electricity facility and establishment of small medium enterprises for agro processing to the remote isolated communities of programme provinces where other means of electrification is not feasible for shorter or medium term.
SNV Nepal is seeking an experienced Nepali for the position of Renewable Energy Officer (Consultant) to work with the partner Rural/Municipalities, communities, private sectors and relevant stakeholder for the promotion of pico-hydro schemes.
Objective and Tasks
The Objective of this assignment is to support the communities and respective partner (rural) municipality for the establishment of pico-hydro schemes. The project also aims to establish mechanized agro-processing facility and therefore establishment of SMEs like hulling, grinding and oil expelling is part of it. The electricity based enterprises development for the financial sustainability of the scheme is another task of this assignment. As the project expects the co-financing support from local authorities, the funding support should be avail on time for the completion of the scheme within the schedule. Specifically, tasks will include but not limited to: Work with the partner Rural/Municipalities, communities, private sectors and relevant stakeholder for the promotion of pico-hydro schemes.
- Understanding of basic technical aspects of pico-hydro promotion (like: flow measurement, gross head calculations, load centres, etc.)
- Understanding of technical activities like, Detail Feasibility Study and Canal alignment.
- Basic Computer application: Auto CAD, Ms Office, report writing, presentation and negotiation skills
- Understanding of Federal Structure of Country and role of Provincial Government and Local Levels for renewable energy and climate issues.
- Should be able to prepare the BoQ for the pico-hydro projects based on the DFS report and field verification.
- Knowledge of Municipal Energy Plan, periodic planning process of the local level.
- This position needs frequent site visits to the fields in Karnali and Sudurpaschim Provinces
- Bachelors in Civil/Mechanical/Electrical Engineering or Sub-Engineer degree in the same fields with Bachelor’s Degree in Rural Development / Sociology / Social Works / Development Studies / Management or relevant
- 3 years plus experience of working in the micro/pico hydro sector, community level social mobilization experience and understanding of local level energy needs (especially for electrification), 5 years for the sub-engineers.
- Extensive work experience at community level, understanding local level planning process and working modality
- Capacity to coordinate with local level stakeholders and line agencies, presentation skills.
- Good reporting and communication skills
- Past experience of working on technical design and supervision of micro/pico hydro or IWM Electrification is must
- Past experience of working in the mid-hills of Karnali and Sudurpaschim provinces will be an asset
- Good language skills (oral and written) in English and Nepal
Report to: Project Leader
Duty Station : Karnali//Sudurpaschim Province (district will be decided later)
Expected Start Date: September 2020
Contract Type : Consultancy Contract
Contract Duration : up to December 2021
Required Number of Position : 2
How to Apply:
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV (not more than 3 page) with motivation letter (not more than 1 page) by clicking on the "I'm interested" button before 16 August 2020.
ONLY SHORTLIST CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED. No telephone inquiries will be entertained. The organization reserves the right to cancel or postpone the whole recruitment process without providing any reasons whatsoever.
Women and candidates from minority groups are highly encouraged to apply
For more information on SNV, please refer to our website: www.snv.org