Project manager Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
- Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
- Contract type: International employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical knowledge to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for structural change and scale in its programmes, as well as bringing knowledge and initiatives from different programmes together at country level to contribute to systems’ change. We will continue to position ourselves as a learning organisation striving for excellence and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline. For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
Overview of the Position
SNV Burkina seeks a talented, entrepreneurial, result-oriented and proven professional who will lead a new project and collaborate with the country team in Burkina to further build on SNV’s high quality WASH programme. The project manager is responsible for the overall vision, leadership and guidance of project, internally with the project staff and externally with donors, host governments and other stakeholders. She/he will be responsible for overall project planning, implementation and management which includes among others: effectively steering project staff and team; efficient management of financial resources; review and approval of project budgets and monitoring expenditures; supervision of field operations; supervision of procurement and monitoring & evaluation; and ensuring quality control and timeliness of all deliverable as required. S/he will ensure full compliance with the donor contract and regulations and will oversee the project reporting process to the donor. S/he will oversee performance management of all project staff working in his/her project. The Project Manager reports directly to the Country Director and collaborates closely with the WASH global sector team. For more information on our works in Burkina Faso, please visit our website: https://snv.org/country/burkina-faso
· Project Set-up: Guide the project set-up, including developing work plans, budgets and competence table with financial responsibilities and mandates;
· Project Management: Lead, manage and motivate the project team to deliver effective development results. Ensure planning and monitoring, financial management, and donor reporting;
· Project quality assurance: Takes responsibility for the (technical) content of a project, ensures quality of the deliverables and ensures sufficient technical input to meet the quality standards.
· Contract Management & Project Accounting: Manages and accounts for full compliance of administrative, finance and HR components of the project with SNV internal procedures and donor requirements
· People Management & Team Leadership: Guides, develops, coaches and motivates team members
· Manage Relationships: Build, strengthen and manage partnerships with local and national governments, private sector partners, institutions and stakeholders; Manage donor relations and the donor contract;
· Business development: Builds and maintains effective relationships, with team, external partners and the donor(s). Signals and acts on potential for positioning, innovation, upscaling and potential follow up on projects.
· Analysis & Reporting: Ensures collection, consolidation and review of project information, according to SNV’s monitoring and evaluation guidelines.
· Knowledge Development: Contributes to internal and external knowledge development, by full documentation and sharing of project insights and results in coordination with the Burkina and global team.
- Relevant advanced academic qualification in WASH or related field;
- 7+ years of relevant experience in WASH service delivery including at least 5 years in a management role, preferably in West Africa with an understanding of the context in Burkina Faso;
- Knowledge of good governance practices, and approaches dealing with gender-sensitive, social inclusion and empowerment principles;
- Knowledge and experience with market-based approaches in WASH, and sanitation as a business, as well as the linkage of WASH with IWRM and governance;
- Proven track record in resource mobilization; demonstrated programme design, proposal writing, business development, and international donor relationship management;
- Proven experience with project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management;
- Entrepreneurial skills and attitude, as well as commitment to work for local partners and in remote areas;
- Established WASH networks and strong relationship management skills;
- A self-motivated achiever with excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organizational skills.
- Fluent in English and French
Contract Type: International
Contract Duration: 2 year with possibility for extension
Expected Start Date: 1 September, 2020
Information Duty Station: Ouagadougou, Burkina
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of WASH experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation before/on 17 July 2020
Please submit your application via SmartRecruiters. All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission.
Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, two interviews with the Selection Committee will take place.