- Kampala, Uganda
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation - by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organization, with decentralized management. For more information on our operations in Uganda and SNV generally visit our website: www.snv.org
The Operations Officer is part of Operations team within Uganda, this position holder focuses on providing operation support services in the countries, to ensure the availability and quality of procurement, administration, logistics, IT, and legal to fully support SNV Uganda Smooth operation.
The Operations Officer supports, guides and directs all projects in operation support functions, ensuring a timely response to the projects and the client community. The Operations Officer is often specialised in one (or multiple) operation support functions.
- Manages and organises integrated process delivery, optimising the use of guidelines and procedures within projects and/or a field office. This related to one or more of the operations supports services: procurement, administration, logistics, IT, legal and/ or HR. Anticipates on delivery challenges to ensure service continuity.
Analysis and reporting
- Maintains a management information system to monitor and analyse data on operation support services performance and resources.
- Gives input on performance of field of operations to Operations Manager.
- Assesses support requirements against project objectives and operating environment. Informs on support activities during future project implementation.
- Assesses, and advises on the quality of support delivery, against the project needs.
- Advises projects on adopting efficient operation services according to guidelines and standard procedures.
- Identifies, proposes and implements organisation and process improvements, in line with the organisation’s needs and requirements and external developments.
Logistics and Procurement
- Initiates all procurement of goods and services in line with SNV and donor policies and procedures;
- Ensures timely completion of procurement in support of programme implementation in line with SNV and donor policies;
- Prepares budgets and planning for the procurement of expendable and non-expendable equipment.
- Arranges accommodations for workshops, client meetings and trainings,
- Submit sand arrange formal documents (e.g. visa, work permits, custom clearance) and arrange travel arrangements including tickets, transport of personal belongings, utilities and ensure payment, arrange long term accommodations for personnel based on approved travel requests and conform travel procedures.
Inventory & Asset Management
- Keeps an update inventory list of equipment, assets and means of transport, and the relevant contracts and leases,
- organises equipment and stationary procurements, coordinates maintenance and replacement when required, in consultation with and with approval of the supervisor and conform the given authorisation and (procurement) procedures
- Ensures efficient inventory management systems are in place and ensures that all procured items are accounted for and quality/quantity controlled in stock reports and asset inventory management systems.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline or higher vocational working & thinking level with relevant work experience of 7 years in operations.
- Private sector experience will be an added value.
- Good understanding of complex and large-scale procurement of goods and services preferred.
- Professional training in procurement, accounting and Information technology is desired.
- Proven experience in supporting project planning, reporting and budget management.
- A self-motivated person with good leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organisational skills.
- Ability to work independently and effectively within tight deadlines
- Advanced proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and social media.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
Application Deadline: by 24th July 2020.
Contract Duration : 24 months initial contract with possible extension
Contract Type: Uganda National Contract
Duty Stations: Kampala
Desired Start Date: 1st September 2020