Project Finance Officer (Contingent to funding)
- Arua, Uganda
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation - by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organization, with decentralized management. For more information on our operations in Uganda and SNV generally visit our website: www.snv.org
The four year Agricultural project (Contingent to funding) has a key youth empowerment focus. This will involve skills development for selected youth and the linking of selected youth to private sector actors for skills enhancement, for employment and for business opportunities. The project will target four of Uganda’s largest refugee hosting districts: Arua, Madi Okollo, Obongi and Moyo districts all containing a high proportion of people who are economically highly vulnerable, including the youth. This project will also target less-resilient households (including households with vulnerable children), and selected youth members of those households, and will promote social cohesion, women’s empowerment and enhanced environmental management. The main intervention point for all project interventions will be savings and development clusters across above-mentioned districts.
The Position (Pending Contract Awarding)
SNV is recruiting a Project Finance officer who has the responsibility for ensuring that the project is implemented within the set budget, that the project is implemented against the set Project Management procedures and guidelines by SNV and by the donor, that project procurements are conducted within the set guidelines and that project facilities, tools and equipment are preserved and put to use within the set project guidelines. The finance and administration officer is open only to national staff. This position is based in Arua, with periodic travel to Kampala and the Arua, Madi Okollo, Obongi and Moyo mentioned above.
Financial Accounting and Administration
- Ensure that the set project operations guidelines are adhered to by the entire team of staff and in close consultation with the project manager.
- Records financial project data correctly into systems.
- Monitors and analyse project data.
- Execute, check and consolidate all necessary activities and checks to assure complete and correct allocation of project costs, in line with financial regulations, SNV financial standards and guidelines and donor requirements.
- Execute the budgeting process and periodically forecast and supports control, monitors (audit) all financial related activities within the project.
- Support periodic (Annual, bi-annual, quarterly, monthly, weekly) budget tracking exercises and ensure that the project manager is timely informed of variances.
- Support the project manager to record all project financial transactions in line with the SNV financial management procedures, the SNV project management manuals, the donor financial reporting standards and in close consultation with the project manager.
Financial business project control and information
- Regularly provide (requested and non-requested) financial reports, analysis and advice to provide insight in the overall projects financial status in order to safeguard financial performance, profitability and to estimate financial risks and take precautions. All in line with donor and SNV financial guidelines.
- Provide advice, balancing country interests, relevant regulation, corporate standards and guidelines, taking the project set-up with different donor regulations into account.
- Guide the Project Manager with project budget and project financial reviews.
- Represent SNV Uganda in the project finance and administration steering team meetings with other consortium partners when called upon to do so and ensure that all the supporting documents for reporting are made available according to donor requirements and as per project management procedures.
- Support the project manager in monitoring the monthly project time writing by all project staff and consultants.
- Follow up on project related receipts and payments, reconcile bank balances, prepare financial transactions and manage liquidity levels of the project, based on guidelines of the Donor, Finance Officer and SNV accounting procedures and internal control frameworks.
(Sub) Grants Management
- Performs due diligence for new implementation partners, sets up systems and procedures to frame grant management, builds implementation partners capacity in grant management and ensures the monitoring of grant management by implementation partners in line with donor and SNV guidelines.
- Ensure Sound Sub-Grants Management systems and procedures for grant management are in place in line with donor regulation and SNV policies and guidelines.
- Provide financial reports to meet both internal and external donor requirements.
- Support the project manager in being compliant to internal- and external procedures and regulations and SNV and donor guidelines regarding the financial administration of projects. Any other duties as may be required from time to time.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Economics, statistics or related field from a recognized University.
- Professional accounting qualifications and membership to ICPAU /ACCA; Qualifications in information systems especially use of ERP.
- At least 4 years of experience in accounting work in a busy environment preferably a project setting.
- Good analytical skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to work within a team.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Computer literate, proficient with MS Word, Excel and financial applications.
- A self-motivated achiever with excellent leadership, teamwork, coaching.
- Communication, analytical and organisational skills.
- Strong work ethics, high level of confidentiality and Integrity.
Application Deadline: by 5th July 2020.
Contract Duration : 45 months initial contract with possible extension
Contract Type: Uganda National Contract
Duty Stations: Arua
Desired Start Date: 15th August 2020