Senior Agriculture / Value Chain Advisor – Subject to Project Award
- The Hague, Netherlands
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation - by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organisation and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
Overview of the Position
SNV is looking for candidates for a senior position in a Corona response and resilience project (pending donor approval) that will have a team of 6 FTEs and is anticipated to start by 1 July 2020. The project will provide backstopping, guidance and exchange/learning to a portfolio of nine major on-going DGIS-funded SNV-implemented projects in various African countries. This will lay the basis for strengthening the immediate and medium-term responses of those nine projects to the challenges created by the Covid-19 situation. The project is envisaged to have four components: Rapid analytics/assessment, Strategic strengthening of local food chains and markets, Hygiene in value chains, and Digitalisation/ICT solutions. The nine projects operate in local food systems / value chains in horticulture, oilseeds, pulses, dairy and pastoralism/livestock with a particular emphasis on small and medium enterprises and overall value chain development.
For this project, SNV is looking for a senior professional with the following indicative profile:
- Academic background in Agriculture, Economics or other relevant discipline.
- More than 8 years relevant experience.
- Extensive experience in food value chains/ systems in different countries in Africa
- Good practical and conceptual sense of vulnerabilities/volatilities in local food chains and systems as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic and its implications
- Able to guide and backstop Project Managers and field project staff in shaping relevant response and resilience strategies, including implications for field operations and budget reallocation.
- Outstanding conceptual and interpersonal skills that help her/him to facilitate exchange and learning across the projects and shape key contributions to policy conversations in the countries, the Netherlands and internationally
- Extensive professional network and informed about relevant, up-to-date international knowledge, actions and conversations around food value chains/systems, with particular emphasis on Covid-19 response.
- Ability to provide supervision/guidance to project activities by other team members in ‘rapid analytics’ of food systems, digitalisation in value chains and/or M&E.
- Proficiency in English and preferably French speaking.
Contract Duration: TBD (up to maximum full project duration 2 years)
Expected Start Date: July 2020
Duty Station: The Netherlands (or East Africa to be discussed)
How to Apply:
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and motivation letter in English until June 7, 2020.
Working at SNV:
We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
NB: Only shortlisted will be contacted
- We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement -