Project Manager- Agriculture Markets Development for Lichinga-Balama Corridor
- Lichinga, Mozambique
- Contract type: International employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation - by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organisation and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
The goal of the project is to promote food security and improved incomes to farmers in the North of Mozambique through the adoption of climate-smart agriculture systems, and the promotion of agriculture and financial markets. The project has a key focus on the empowerment of women and youth. The position is based in Lichinga but involves frequent travel in Niassa and Cabo Delgado provinces, where the project is being implemented, and occasional travel to Maputo. Overseeing a team of 17 people the PM will have the responsibility to manage a budget of USD 6 million over a period of three and a half years.
Overview of the Position
The Project Manager is responsible for overall management of the project which includes: technical oversight and guidance of project activities; efficient management of financial resources; review and approval of project budgets and monitoring expenditures; supervision of field operations, administration, logistics and procurement; supervision of monitoring and evaluation; and ensuring quality control and timeliness of all deliverables as required by the donor. S/he will ensure full compliance with all donor and other government regulations and procedures. S/he will oversee orientation & performance management of all project staff working exclusively in his/her project.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Project Strategy: provide technical and strategic direction and guidance to the project and its partners at national and sub-national level;
- Human and Financial Resources: efficient management of human and financial resources; ensure effective coordination of project activities with project teams, review and approve project budgets and monitor expenditures also in relation to partner projects and;
- Monitoring and Evaluation: ensure quality control and timeliness of all deliverables, develop and maintain a baseline and monitoring plan and business score card; account and report to SNV, donor and clients on project performance;
- Networking and Relation Management: build and maintain relationship with project stakeholders, including ministries, local government authorities, private sector, investors and partners;
- Operational Support: provide operational guidance and support to project activities, including developing work plans, budgets and competency table within financial responsibilities and mandates;
- Knowledge development: guide knowledge development, documentation and communication and branding in close collaboration with the donor and country team;
- Business Development: Identify follow-up funding and partnership possibilities with country management and business development.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline;
- At least 8 years’ working in agricultural development projects, with a minimum of 5 years as project manager;
- Solid track recird of managing donor funded agriculture projects;
- Fluency in English and Portuguese language is required;
- Experience working in remote locations in Eastern and Southern Africa is a must, experience in working in Mozambique is highly desirable;
- Sound knowledge and understanding of inclusive business models, market linkages facilitation and private sector (SME) development;
- Track record in managing stringent international donor funded projects;
- Experience implementing interventions focused on youth and gender equality;
- Strong qualitative and quantitative writing and analytical skills;
- Understand key approaches of monitoring & evaluation;
- Proven people and result oriented leader with excellent management skills;
- Excellent communication skills, including strong presentation, networking and facilitation skills.
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time international position with the successful candidate being contracted on a one year contract with strong possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. A pension plan, life and medical insurances are included in the benefits package.
SNV is a global organisation committed to bringing different people, ideas and perspectives together. We invite especially women to submit their application as we want to increase the number of women in leadership positions.
Key Steps in the Selection Process
1. Please submit your application via SmartRecruiters on or before 15 March 2020, in English language, if you wish to be considered for this position. All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
2. We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission. Please note that reference checks may be conducted prior to the final interview.
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of Agriculture experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
- We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement -