Access to Finance Advisor
- Kakuma, Kenya
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation - by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organization, with decentralized management.
For more information on our operations in Kenya and SNV generally visit our website: www.snv.org
SNV has been working in Kenya since 1967. In Kakuma and Kalobeyei, SNV has put a mark as a formidable facilitator of commercially viable markets for renewable energy products and services for households and SMEs. SNV continues to work in underserved areas facilitating energy access for lighting and cooking needs for households, SMEs and institutions through Biogas, Clean cook stoves & Fuels and Solar.
In keeping with the Sustainable Development Goals, Kenya is increasing access to modern energy services for her people. Access to affordable energy is an essential prerequisite to achieving economic growth and poverty reduction. SNV is very keen to support this ambition by employing diverse innovative ways/models and to grow beyond the above two locations.
SNV Kenya is seeking a qualified and result oriented professional to fill the post of “Access to Finance Advisor”. Reporting to the Project Manager, the Advisor will serve as a member of the project team and will work as a Technical Advisor (TA) with a private partner to design, popularise and implement a digital wallet (an integrated financing mechanism) to initiate digitalisation of financial transactions. The advisor will collaborate closely with CBIs and vulnerable groups to avail agreed upon financial inclusion solutions to them.
Specific activities and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Evaluation of consumer financing environment exercise(s);
- Ensuring focused assessment of financing for vulnerable groups ;
- Community outreach and awareness raising on financing mechanisms and social inclusion;
- Working as a technical advisor (TA) to all project team members on optimizing financing in all project interventions;
- Contributing to analysis, knowledge and solution development around all themes of the project and especially up-scaling, sustainability and inclusion of women and youth.
- Liaising, coordinating, and garnering support from stakeholders (central or local government, other financial service providers, projects, etc);
- Contributing to project’s Management for Results Framework and system (including evaluation and reporting), in close collaboration with the PM as the M&E responsible officer;
- Working in close coordination with the rest of the team and undertaking additional assignments as requested by the team leader;
- At least a Bachelor Degree in Business Administration, Economics, Agri-business, Finance, or a related field; Possession of a Master Degree will be an added advantage;
- Over 5 years’ experience of which 3 years are gained engaged in relevant work experience in fields relevant and related to this scope of work.
- Proven experience in energy, WASH and/or agricultural marketing, financial services, private sector engagement, and business management.
- Experience in facilitating access to finance in the energy, WASH and/or agriculture sector, linking farmers to markets; credit and other service providers.
- Management, leadership, and interpersonal skills required.
- Result oriented and problem solving capacity
- Prepared to travel widely and undertake substantial fieldwork.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills and capacity to facilitate dialogue across multiple stakeholders.
- Experience in inclusive finance (youth and women) will be an advantage.
- Strong negotiation skills, leadership, team spirit and results orientation
- Entrepreneurial skills and attitude, initiative taking, networking, opportunity thinker
- Client - and team-oriented attitude
- Creative, communicative and proactive personality
- Excellent communication skills and writing skills in English
- Strong computer skills
Desired start date: as soon as possible.
Duration of contract:
2 years initial contract term with possibility of extension.
How to apply
Please apply by clicking on the “I AM INTERESTED” tab on this page and submitting an application letter and CV that contains three referees in English before 29th October, 2019.
Only shortlisted will be contacted.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.
SNV Kenya does not require you to undergo any medical test prior to employment