Household Dialogue Toolkit for Gender Equality
- Lao Cai, Vietnam
- Contract type: Short term consultancy contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
SNV has been working in Vietnam since 1995, and currently has over 40 national and international staff. SNV Vietnam operates from a head office in Hanoi and has projects in over 50 provinces in the country, including in the poorest and most remote areas.
The “Market development and competitiveness enhancement for cinnamon products to promote women's economic empowerment in Lao Cai province” – or “Spice for Equality (SFE)” in short - is a 2 years project being implemented by SNV in partnership with the Agricultural Extension and Services Center (AESC) of Lao Cai province. The project is part of the ‘Gender Responsive Equitable Agriculture and Tourism Program’ (GREAT) funded by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT). This project focuses on improving the social and economic status of women in Lao Cai province by strengthening their engagement in cinnamon value chains. We are seeking consultant to improve the “Household Dialogue Toolkit for Gender Equality” serving for implementation of the project in Lao Cai province.
To deliver an Advanced Household Dialogue Toolkit considering lessons learnt from SNV and AESC Lao Cai.
The advanced Household Dialogue Toolkit will be used for promotion gender equality and guiding household economic development planning during household dialogue and community dialogue sessions in project sites in Lao Cai.
Scope of work:
The Consultant/s will work with SNV and AESC Lao Cai to review, design, develop and finalize the materials. The materials will be used for communication events/activities and dialogues/trainings at the community and household levels in Bac Ha and Van Ban districts.
Methodology and required tasks:
Work with staff of SNV and AESC Lao Cai to
- Review the available tool set (e.g. household dialogues and other relevant tools such as Gender Action Learning System (GALS))
- Document lessons learnt, identify the needs and solutions to improve the tools
- Identify types and detailed contents of the training curriculum.
- Create appropriate modules which are locally adapted to be applied in project in Lao Cai (Van Ban and Bac Ha districts)
Develop and improve the mentioned materials
- Testing and finalization the toolkit and curriculum/text book.
- Introduce, transfer and coach the materials to partners (AESC and core farmers) through a workshop event at Lao Cai city.
- A contextualized and visualized toolkit (tools and guidelines) for SFE to facilitate gender equality within farmers groups (based on GALS, household dialogue facilitation handbook, SNV and partners’ experiences/lessons learnt)
- A successful transfer/coaching mission SFE’s actors in Lao Cai (i.e. AEC, WU, and some key trainers/facilitators at district/commune levels)
Timeline and dates:
- The duration takes place from 10 until 30 September 2019. Total expected man days are 7 working days.
- Schedule: the following schedule is an indicative schedule as an input into the detailed work plan to be developed by the consultant
- Prepare a detailed work plan and methodology based on the TORs with expected time: 1st week of Sept 2019.
- Communicate with SNV and AESC on tool kit (e.g. GALS, household dialogues) and contents of the curriculum with expected time : 2nd week of Sept 2019
- Improve household dialogue tool set and deliver the first draft curriculum with expected time: 3rd week of Sept 2019
- Consult with SNV, AESC, and testing/field visit (via 1 event) with expected time: 4th week of Sept 2019
- Finalise the materials with expected time: 30th Sept 2019
The Consultant(s) must have the required competence and skills to carry out the assignment. Some of the desired qualifications are below:
- A post graduate degree in gender, development, social sciences or related sectors
- At least 7 years’ experience in documentation and developing communication products/training curricula.
- Experience and knowledge in working with local communities and topics of women’s empowerment
- Proven experience on preparation of materials for training, design and promote communication activities.
- Familiar with GALS and/or household dialogue tools and relevant women’s empowerment tool kit is an advantage
- Having experience in working with local and partners and international organizations is highly desirable.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested consultants are requested to submit their letter of interest indicating their understanding of the assignment and CV with the title “Household Dialogue Toolkit for Gender Equality”
Deadline for submission of proposal latest by 12 pm on 6th September 2019.
Applications will be reviewed and interviews conducted on a rolling basis to identify appropriate candidates as soon as possible. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information on SNV, please refer to our website: www.snv.org
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.