Sector Leader Energy / Chief Technical Advisor/ Program Manager
- Lusaka, Zambia
- Contract type: International employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
Energy sector summary
SNV implements market-transforming projects in related to energy (renewable energy in particular), energy efficiency and climate change in different countries in Asia, Africa, and Central/South America that focus on enabling the government, private sector, civil societies and other stakeholders to improve and increase energy service delivery for both rural and urban communities. Our projects are focused on several clean, efficient, and affordable energy technologies such as household biodigesters, solar home systems and solar lighting kits, advanced biomass cookstoves for domestic cooking, renewable biomass fuels, and waste-to-energy. The underlying approach to our projects is market-based with a strong focus on local capacity building, and we employ a range of innovative financing solutions to support sustainable market development.
Energy portfolio Zambia
SNV has been implementing the Energy for Agriculture (E4A) project funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) through the Embassy of Sweden in Zambia. The aim of the project is to develop viable markets for productive biodigester in Zambia that leads to improved livelihoods for small holder farmers through increased savings on fuel and income generation from the productive use of biogas and bioslurry. It focusses on building capacity in the public and private sectors to construct and operate biodigesters across Zambia. Upon the successful completion of the first phase of the project, SIDA has agreed to extend the project. Besides E4A, SNV Zambia is aiming at diversifying the energy portfolio with the inclusion of Integrated Decentralised Energy Solutions such as Solar Mini/micro grids, waste to energy and medium scale biodigesters.
Overview of the Position
The Country Sector Leader Energy will work as Chief Technical Advisor for E4A project and also guide the overall implementation and strategic development of the SNV’s Energy sector program in Zambia. S/he will assure the quality of project portfolio implementation, provide effective line management of energy sector staff, provide technical content leadership, steer the quality of technical advisory services, provide technical back-stopping and coaching to project staff, liaise with donors and support resource mobilisation. S/he will lead strategic portfolio development to expand SNV Zambia’s energy work in new areas and enhance the visibility of our Energy programme and position SNV within the national Energy sector. The Country Sector Leader reports directly to the Country Director, and collaborates closely with SNV’s Global Energy Sector team.
The Sector Leader may serve as Project Manager (PM) or Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) of selected projects in the portfolio and will be responsible for ensuring all energy projects are implemented within scope, budget, timeline and acceptable quality levels.
Strategic Leadership: develop country-level Energy sector strategy aligned with corporate Energy sector strategic frameworks;
- People Management: lead, manage, and coach the team of SNV Energy Project Managers and Advisors, local service providers and consultants;
- Representation & Promotion: develop and maintain relationships with sector stakeholders to enhance SNV’s market position and actively participate in external and internal networks;
- Business Development: seek opportunities, develop proposals (country and multi-country programs) and secure funding for future Energy projects;
- Country Office Management: Contribute to SNV Zambia Country Office Management as a member of the Country Management Team.
- Ensure implementation of the project work plan, as per the SNV project management procedures, accounting principles and donor requirements.
- Contract Management & Project Accounting - Manage administrative, finance and procurement aspects of projects.
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting - Formulate and implement M&E plan; ensure data collection, risk monitoring and reporting.
- Knowledge, documentation and communication - Ensure full synthesis, analysis and documentation and sharing of project insights and results, signal potential for positioning, innovation, upscaling and potential follow up projects.
- Network and Relationship building - Build and maintain effective relationships, with the government and local authorities, other programme countries, external partners and donors.
Specific Role as Chief Technical Advisor for E4A
Provide strategic policy advice to the project and other partners on issues related to speedy dissemination of biodigester technology.
Promote the identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt from the project for organizational sharing and learning as well as external information.
Participate in knowledge and learning events and take advantage of best practices and lessons learnt that are available in the region and globally; create a culture of knowledge sharing and learning in the project.
Render technical assistance to the staff in the field and help them in problem solving.
Ensure that the key biodigester sector functions (marketing, quality assurance, training, extension) are sustainably imbedded in national policy and practice.
Support to enhance core competencies of staff and stakeholders for required works, including leadership development, action planning, program development and implementation, evaluation, social marketing, and fundraising.
Increase the chance of successful implementation and sustainability of biodigester product and services by striking a balance between scientific evidence of effective programming and local communities' knowledge of what would work in their specific context.
Involve in specialised research and development initiatives such as efficiency assessment of biodigesters, energy-from-waste, medium scale biodigesters for electricity generation, diversification of end use applications of biogas and bioslurry, efficiency testing of biogas appliances.
Support in formulation of bioenergy policy and strategy and to establish biodigester-testing protocols.
Collect insights on the prospects and challenges to package E4A and ongoing climate smart agriculture project entitled Sustainable Integrated Land Management Solutions (SILMS) in a possible follow on phase and contribute to its development.
- Relevant advanced academic qualification in Energy, Business Administration, International Development, Project Management or related field;
- 9+ years of relevant experience in access-to-energy programme design and implementation, including at least 7 years in a project management role, preferably with a focus on Energy in Africa;
- Academic and/or professional experiences with the implementation of biodigester and climate smart initiatives would be an added advantage.
- Proven track record in project management, specifically in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management for large-scale energy projects;
- International work experience and the ability to effectively coach and lead a team of advisors in a multi-cultural setting;
- Strong background in resource mobilisation; demonstrated program design, proposal writing, business development, and international donor relationship management;
- Strong relationship management skills;
- Proficiency in English required;
- The successful candidate will be a self-motivated achiever with excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organisational skills.
Contract Type: International
Contract Duration: One year initial term, with strong possibility of extension, contingent on funding availability.
Expected Start Date: 01 February 2019
Key Steps in the Selection Process
1. Please submit your application in English via SmartRecruiters until January 15, 2019 if you wish to be considered for this position. All information will be in the strictest confidence.
2. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application and your profile match with the specific position requirements to be considered..
3. During the recruitment process, we will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission. Please note that reference checks may be conducted prior to your face-to-face interviews.
5. Should SNV wish to proceed with your application, selection process will be communicate to the shortlisted candidates.
6. After your interviews with the Selection Committee, we will advise you of the Committee’s decision as soon as possible. Please note that the successful candidate will be required to furnish SNV with original copies of their qualifications prior to an offer being extended
How to Apply:
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV in English.
Working at SNV:
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of Energy experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement
NB: Only shortlisted will be contacted.