International Green Financing Specialist
- Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Contract type: Consultancy contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
For more information on SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
The Ministry of Agriculture calls for application to the ‘Climate-Friendly Agribusiness Value Chains Sector Project’, funded by the ADB, that aims at improving the competitiveness of agricultural value chains in Kampong Cham, Tboung Khmum, Kampot and Takeo provinces.
SOFRECO and SNV companies are shortlisted together for the ‘Capacity Building and Climate Smart Agriculture Consultant (CBCSA)’. SOFRECO and SNV are both working to support development worldwide.
Tasks and deliverables.
- Conduct a comprehensive landscape and key stakeholder analysis to determine implementation activities existing in green climate financing, and the key stakeholders involved in each including implementation agencies and donor partners.
- Determine what is required to remove financing aversion into green climate projects.
- Analyse potential incentives for financial institutions to increase lending to green climate finance projects.
- Include research with UNCDF, the GCF Consortium (Conservation International, the World Wildlife Fund, and Wildlife Conservation Society), USAID, DFAT, AFD, and other stakeholders;
- Design a training program for financial institutions including banks/MFIs to understand environmental and climate screening criteria, and to evaluate loans against these criteria.
- Training topics could include: (1) What is green lending - identification, benefits and opportunities; (2) Awareness of green climate financing projects and the Cambodia Climate Fund (CCF) operations and requirements; (3) Integration of green climate finance criteria into current credit application process; and (4) reporting on the credit guarantee;
- Plan, organize and facilitate a financial institution training and workshop on green climate friendly investments in Cambodia, in coordination with other stakeholders;
- Design and manage bank "climate friendly" financing accreditation process. This accreditation process will ensure that banks have climate friendly criteria included in their credit application process. These accredited banks will then become eligible for CCF lending for them to on-lend to climate friendly projects;
- Conduct field visits with banks to review potential green financing projects.
- Conduct awareness workshops and accreditation seminars, as needed;
- Consult and coordinate with all stakeholders including the Government of Cambodia (Ministry of Environment, Dept. of Green Energy), environmental supporting NGOs, financial lenders, and the private sector;
- Strengthen linkages, trust and shared understanding between lenders, borrowers, and input and services providers regarding climate friendly investment opportunities;
- Deliver regular project reporting on a quarterly basis on results achieved, specific roadblocks and challenges, and next steps;
- Support procurement of a follow-on study of crop insurance schemes to ensure data and insights from the Rice Commercialization study are valid for the focal provinces and crops for the Climate-friendly Agribusiness Value Chains Sector Project;
- Support expansion of newly tested crop-insurance models; and
- Support procurement and installation of infrastructure to provide accurate and reliable weather information in focus provinces for the Climate-friendly Agribusiness Value Chains Sector Project.
- Master’s degree or above in business, economics or other relevant disciplines,
- 12 years professional experience in banking sector work, with over 8 years working in the Cambodian banking sector.
- 7 years professional experience in climate change project/program design and implementation for bilateral or multilateral donors;
- Experience and deep knowledge of investments/loans and sustainable financing practices;
- Experience working with development institutions supporting the financial sector in Cambodia to support responsible and sustainable growth;
- Experience in forestry practices of Asia, preferably Cambodia, particularly in relation to their role for climate change adaptation and mitigation;
- Work experience in Cambodia and clear understanding of the ADB modality of project technical assistance and also of GCF modality of financial support;
- Knowledge of UNFCCC negotiations, NAMA’s, NAP’s, national REDD strategies and NAPA’s and related documents;
- Capacity to assess the forest sector program design against the fiduciary, environmental and social safeguards standards and requirements of the Green Climate Fund (GCF);
- Good background in forest policy, strategy and program development with strong gender components; and
- Fluent in English both verbal and written.
Contract Duration: 10 months
Expected Start Date: April, 2019.
Duty Station: Cambodia. Specific location to be confirmed.
How to Apply
Applicants are invited to upload their CV before January 2nd, 2019.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.