- Kampala, Uganda
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV Netherlands Development Organization is a not-for-profit international development organizational founded in the Netherlands in 1965; and currently maintains a global presence in 30 countries;across Africa, Asia and Latin America. SNV has been present in Uganda since 1989 and currently undertakes donor funded programming within 100+ districts across the country. As an organisation, SNV focuses on the Agriculture, WASH and Energy sectors and maintains the belief that no one should have to live in poverty; and that all people should have the opportunity to pursue their own sustainable development. SNV contributes to programming within the Agriculture, WASH and Energy sectors by strengthening the capacities of targeted partners and communities at the field level; in order to realize increased skill sets and sustainable performance; reduce poverty levels, expand employment; improve food security; while paying special attention to gender equity, social inclusion of marginalized groups and stakeholder accountability.
As our programme in Uganda continues to grow, we are looking for a dynamic professionals to join our team. Interested candidates should meet the basic qualifications outlined within the Candidate Profile and exhibit a strong desire to be a catalyst for change
For more information on our operations in Uganda and SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
The Uganda Sanitation for Health Activity (S4H) is a five-year project funded by USAID. Implementing partners are Tetra Tech, SNV, SSG, FSG, and BRAC. The project is increasing the number of people with access to improved and sustainable water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) services, leading to improved health and nutrition across districts in Uganda.
SNV is seeking candidates to provide Social Behavior Change leadership on the USAID/Uganda Sanitation for Health Activity (S4H). The responsibilities of the Behavioural Economist include but are not limited to leading, managing, monitoring and coordinating social behaviour change (SBC) activities, including developing/expanding key hygiene behaviours in homes, schools and health facilities. S/he will coordinate closely with the S4H Technical Team across all project outputs to provide high quality strategic, technical, and managerial SBC guidance to the S4H project. The Behavioural Economist directly reports to the Technical Director. The position is based in Kampala, Uganda.
· Participate in baseline assessments assessing the status of SBC project intervention needs.
· Develop evidence-based and innovative strategies for rural sanitation marketing and social behaviour change at the community and household levels grounded in behaviour change theory and local conditions.
· Facilitate development of SBC strategies leading to increased access and demand for sanitation products; enforcement of sanitation by-laws; and increased access to financing for sanitation investments targeting households, schools, and health facilities.
· Coordinate with the Ministry of Health and the National Sanitation Working Group to ensure that project interventions related to SBC support the government’s community-led total sanitation (CLTS)/demand creation sanitation approach.
· Facilitate institutional triggering so that district leaderships support sanitation and hygiene activities in district development plans.
· Facilitate increasing the capacity of school management teams to incorporate SBC in WASH school guidelines and school WASH action plans.
· Organize and facilitate technical and capacity building trainings for participating health workers on good hygiene practices and on how to facilitate hygiene behaviour change sessions targeting patients, caregivers and community members that frequent respective health facilities.
· Monitor and evaluate social behaviour change and behaviour change communication project interventions throughout the S4H project, adopting a collaborating, learning, and adapting (CLA) approach. At the same time, build local capacities of selected entities in the evaluation of SBC project interventions.
· Ensure quality and consistency of multi-media behaviour change communication services, products, and materials.
· Travel to project sites as needed.
· Other duties as assigned by the Chief of Party or Technical Director.
· Master’s degree in psychology, communication, marketing, business, economics, or related field, preferably with regard to WASH.
· 5-10 years of professional experience generating innovative and effective behavior change or marketing solutions for projects of similar magnitude/complexity, preferably in Uganda.
· Proven technical understanding and experience leading social behavior change (SBC) and behavior change communication (BCC) project interventions, preferably with regard to sanitation and hygiene, and addressing gender and social inclusion.
· Previous experience with implementation of donor-funded projects.
· Able to work effectively as a team member.
· Computer literacy and ability to use standard software (MS Word, Excel, database, powerpoint) required.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
· Strong oral and written communication skills in English required.
Application Deadline: by 15 November 2018.
Contract Duration : 4 years
Contract Type: National (open to Ugandan nationals only)
Duty Stations: Kampala
Desired Start Date: Dec 2018