Communications Expert (Consultant)
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Contract type: Short term consultancy contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization, working in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organizations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
SNV’s work is funded by a wide range of national and international donors. Individual SNV countries are responsible to ensure own resource mobilisation in cooperation with the global Business Development Unit that sits at the corporate (Head office) level to coordinate and support lead and prospect development throughout the organisation.
For more information on our operations in Kenya, visit our website: www.snv.org
Performance Enhancement for Water Utilities in Kenya (PEWAK)
Performance Enhancement for Water utilities in Kenya (PEWAK) is a five year project (2015-2019) funded by the Netherlands Sustainable Water Fund (FDW), aimed at improving performance of Water Service Providers (WSPs) in the Kenyan water sector through benchmarking, collective learning and innovative financing. The project is currently in its fourth year of implementation. As part of the consortium, SNV continues to support Water Service Providers Association (WASPA) in ensuring that the utility led benchmarking programme is anchored in the Kenyan water sector. Working with 10 WSPs, we aim to increase efficiency levels by implementing the caretaker approach hence achieve reduction of non-revenue water to below 25%. SNV and its partners continue to support WSPs in ensuring improved consumer engagement through implementation of tailored approaches. Ultimately we anticipate improved performance through partnerships with the private sector in addition to adoption of technology aimed at reduction of non-revenue water. The project also focuses on increasing access to water in low income areas working together with pro-poor units established at the water companies.
Engagement of a Communications Expert: Performance Enhancement of Water Utilities In Kenya (PEWAK) Project.
One of the influencing factor on growth for commercial entities is its customer base and for this matter WSPs will require to maintain their existing customers before looking out to recruit new customers. This therefore shows that it is necessary for WSPs to invest on platforms that would enable customers to relay feedback based on their experience. Analysis of acquired data would therefore inform the company on areas that require improvement and at the same time assure customers that raised concerns will be addressed. Stakeholder engagement is critical in ensuring timely information for effective decision making.
A number of systems have been developed to enable the documentation of feedback from customers in addition to the ability for engagement. It has been noted that most companies find it difficult to select a system that best fits their needs. This is because a number of factors come into play during selection, this includes; integration of the proposed system to existing systems, cost, system fit to the organisations dynamics and system versatility. System developers have come up with a number of solutions for the water sector yet the level of awareness of these solutions is still low. It is anticipated that the adoption of these solutions will automate data sorting and analysis therefore the transformation of data into information that will inform the decision making process. SNV therefore seeks to engage the services of a communications expert to document available platforms that are availed for the water sector aimed to improving the ability of WSPs to engagement its consumers.
Scope of Work
- Review relevant reports including PEWAK’s approach in supporting water companies to enhance WSP-Consumer engagement.
- Assess existing consumer engagement approaches with an aim to identify challenges during implementation by WSPs.
- Review the service levels roadmap and update proposed models that guide WSPs in addressing service gaps.
- Conduct a research on existing solutions in the water sector that aims to facilitate WSP-Consumer engagement and develop a write-up on selected solutions.
- Interview the customer care staff and the ICT officers to determine the type of system in use and its impact to the performance of 10 WSPs under the PEWAK project.
- Develop a check list that will assist WSPs in selecting appropriate systems to enhance WSP-Consumer engagement.
- Design pictorial representations of the consumer engagement approaches with a guide on the recommended approach depending on the WSP’s area of operation.
- Develop a catalogue on selected consumer engagement solutions for the Kenyan water sector.
The consultant will prepare relevant questionnaires / assessment instruments to guide interviews with respondents.
As outlined in the section above, the consultant is expected to deliver the following:
- Inception report that details the proposed technical approach, activities and timelines to undertake the assignment.
- Revised service levels roadmap with updated models on service quality.
- Comprehensive consumer engagement toolkit report that shall include:
- Existing consumer engagement approaches with identified challenges during implementation by WSPs
- The impact on the use of adopted consumer engagement solutions for the 10 WSPs under the PEWAK project.
- A guide to assist WSPs to select appropriate systems to enhance WSP-Consumer engagement
- Pictorial representations of the consumer engagement approaches with a guide on the recommended approach depending on the WSP’s area of operation
- A catalogue on selected consumer engagement solutions for the Kenyan market.
The Documentation Expert will need:
- Graduate qualifications or equivalent experience in a relevant area of expertise, i.e. Communications, Knowledge Management, Marketing, Business Administration or other related courses relevant to the assignment.
- Over 5 years of experience working with/for water utilities in Kenya with an understanding of consumer engagement approaches implemented the Kenyan water sector.
- Proven track record in communications and knowledge management;
- Knowledge of the Kenyan water sector and familiarity with sector reforms
- Demonstrated strong inter-personal communication skills.
- Experience in senior level management and work done for similar projects in an added advantage
The assignment is estimated to take a total of 40 working days.
How to apply
Please apply by clicking on the “I'M INTERESTED” tab above/below and complete your application in our in-house recruitment system before 26th November, 2018.
We do not appreciate any commercial mediation based on this advertisement.
NB: Kindly note that SNV Kenya does not require you to undergo any medical test prior to employment. Only shortlisted will be contacted.