Global Technical Advisor- Livestock
- Location- to be determined, xx
- Contract type: International employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation, working in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on our operations and SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
We are currently seeking a global technical advisor-Livestock. The key responsibilities of this position is to (1) provide technical backstopping to selected SNV livestock projects as per project contracts (2) strengthen SNV’s global position in livestock (3) develop new business for SNV in the livestock sector (4) develop innovative solutions and coordinate learning and (5) maintain and expand SNV’s relations and partnerships with key horticulture players.
This position reports to the Global Sector Coordinator – Value Chains and works in close collaboration with the Country Sector Leaders, Project Managers, Marketing and Business Development team and the Global Agriculture Sector team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Support SNV’s livestock projects in close collaboration with the project managers by delivering short-term support for improvements and or providing technical assistance on the implementation of ongoing livestock projects;
- Design and develop new programmes and projects relating to agribusiness and value chain development specifically in the livestock sector by initiating and technically leading new livestock proposals;
- Maintain and expand SNV’s relations and strategic partnerships in the livestock industry including working with them to identify upgrading opportunities, public-private partnerships and other opportunities that support an industry-wide vision;
- Lead livestock product development through innovative solutions;
- Coordinate livestock learning, develop key publications on best practices on livestock;
- Prepare, maintain and update livestock knowledge agenda, capture lessons learnt including collection and dissemination of knowledge products to stimulate internal and external knowledge exchange and to support global learning;
- Attend key global and regional events on livestock on behalf of SNV;
- Build, maintain and utilise networks and relationships for on-going and new opportunities with relevant stakeholders in livestock e.g. companies, research institutions, universities, donors, etc.
- Undertake frequent travel to the projects.
- Master’s Degree or higher degree in a discipline relevant to Livestock, e.g. livestock, agriculture.
- At least 8 years of relevant experience in the agriculture/livestock sector in an international, multi-country context;
- Track record in supervision, advisory work related to production, supply chain management, private sector development and technical backstopping;
- Proven ability and experience of mobilising resources from the public and private sector;
- Credible international track record and expertise in designing and implementing livestock programmes;
- Strong networking and positioning skills at multiple levels;
- Proven track record in project management including project implementation oversight;
- Excellent social and networking skills, ability to engage with governments and the private sector;
- Strong network of professional connections with relevant stakeholders in the livestock sector;
- Visionary and able to strategically inspire and energise teams;
- Focus on quality and driving for continuous improvement of deliverables in the livestock sector;
- Proven capacity to work with teams operating at a distance;
- Ability to coach, lead, stimulate, and inspire professionals in a development context;
- Proficiency in both written and spoken English and French is required.
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time position with the successful candidate being contracted on a two-year basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The duty station for this positon is yet to be confirmed.
How to Apply
- Please submit your application via SmartRecruiters on or before 02 November 2018 if you wish to be considered for this position. All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
- We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission. Please note that reference checks may be conducted prior to your face-to-face interviews.
- Should SNV wish to proceed with your application two interviews with the Selection Committee will take place.