Global Gender Advisor
- Location- to be determined, xx
- Contract type: International employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation, working in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
For more information on our operations and SNV, visit our website: www.snv.org
The Gender Advisor will be responsible for promoting and strengthening the inclusion and mainstreaming of gender issues in SNV programs and projects, and for developing SNVs institutional capacity to address issues of gender mainstreaming, economic empowerment and social inclusion. To achieve this, the Gender Advisor will be responsible for the overall development and delivery of the Gender Integration Strategy and its cascading and implementation within SNV’s Agricultural portfolio to permit women, men and youth to benefit from SNV interventions while ensuring that these beneﬁts are scalable and can be sustained in the long term.
This position reports to the Global Sector Coordinator -Value Chains and works in close collaboration with the Country Sector Leaders, Project Managers, Marketing and Business Development team and the Global Agriculture Sector team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Lead SNVs thinking in Women Economic Empowerment and Balancing Benefits approaches and shaping how these approaches are adopted and applied in SNVs programmes;
- Support SNV’s gender projects/projects with gender component in close collaboration with the project managers by delivering short-term support for improvements and or providing technical assistance on the implementation of gender aspects of the project;
- Supports proposal writing and reviewing efforts for securing funds for gender and economic empowerment of women;
- Meet with other organisations/donors on possible new funding activities and/or partnerships related to gender and other relevant technical topics;
- Prepare, maintain and update gender knowledge agenda, capture lessons learnt including collection and dissemination of knowledge products to stimulate internal and external knowledge exchange and to support global learning;
- Attend key global and regional events on gender on behalf of SNV;
- Provide technical guidance and backstopping support for projects in how to design and implement gender transformative, gender integrated, and women’s empowerment activities, particularly related to market systems, climate change, agriculture financing, and nutrition-integrated agriculture;
- Ensure that gender issues are integrated in SNV project strategic objectives, results frameworks, annual work plans, and that Women Economic Empowerment objectives and targets are well integrated within the broader context of gender speciﬁc constraints prioritised by SNV, and are monitored as part of results reporting;
- Serve as SNV contact point for the Agriculture Sector with social and gender policy experts and practitioners, thereby building a network for addressing issues of priority for SNV in relation to gender equality;
- Gather and highlight strategic learning from the field. Where appropriate, develop into tools for dissemination throughout SNV and externally;
- Undertake frequent travel to the projects/countries.
- Master’s degree in international development, gender, behavioural economics, agronomy, sociology, or other related disciplines.
- At least 8 years of experience in a similar or related position – demonstrated experience and technical knowledge in gender development, particularly as it relates to food security, agricultural value chains/market systems, climate change, and nutrition integrated agriculture;
- Demonstrated success in implementing gender integration and social inclusion strategies and activities in the context of providing advisory services or implementing gender interventions in an agriculture project or program context;
- Substantial knowledge of good practices in developing gender integration strategies and interventions, mainstreaming gender in institutions and in projects;
- Knowledge and experience in designing and implementing Women Economic empowerment interventions;
- Experience in gender related national strategies and policy reviews, analysis, and application;
- Must be a self-directed, highly organized person who can effectively prioritize and follow through on multiple initiatives simultaneously;
- Strong communication skills, specifically strong verbal communication skills in English and French including excellent report writing skills;
- Ability to conduct training and capacity building to staff and implementing partners on gender equality, women inclusion integration;
- Experience with both quantitative and qualitative research methods, as well as conducting field based assessments;
- Excellent analytical and technical skills and expertise with the ability to work independently;
- Experience in integrating gender in the agriculture private sector an advantage;
- Knowledge of the Africa national community development and gender policies is an advantage.
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time position with the successful candidate being contracted on a two-year basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The duty station for this position is yet to be confirmed.
How to Apply
- Please submit your application via SmartRecruiters on or before 02 November 2018 if you wish to be considered for this position. All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
- We will require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your explicit permission. Please note that reference checks may be conducted prior to your face-to-face interviews.
- Should SNV wish to proceed with your application two interviews with the Selection Committee will take place.