Business Development Coordinator
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization, working in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organizations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
SNV’s work is funded by a wide range of national and international donors. Individual SNV countries are responsible to ensure own resource mobilisation in cooperation with the global Business Development Unit that sits at the corporate (Head office) level to coordinate and support lead and prospect development throughout the organisation.
For more information on our operations in Kenya, visit our website: www.snv.org
As Business Development (BD) Coordinator you will support the management team to secure funding from a diversified, steady, and broader base of funders to support the expansion of SNV Kenya’s program models across all sectors and to develop new programs and partnerships that support SNV Kenya’s strategic priorities. You will report to the Country Director and work with the Sector leaders of Agriculture, Renewable Energy and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) as well as with the BD Support Unit at SNV’s Head Office in The Netherlands.
Proposal Development Responsibilities
- Conduct targeted research focused on the status of SNV Kenya’s interest areas; analyse donor landscapes; and read and synthesize technical documents;
- Support Sector Leaders in developing a BD Plan for their sector in Kenya, ensure that the BD plans for the different sectors are integrated and coordinate the overall implementation of the BD plan;
- Ensure the BD plans are kept up to date by following developments in markets and amongst donors;
- Analyse competition and partners to analyse in selection and advise on proposal submission;
- For proposals prepared in Kenya, coordinate deadline-driven proposal development process: Coordinate proposal development team; manage inputs from multiple departments; coordinate inputs from different partners; liaise with a wide range of national and international donors;
- For proposals prepared in SNV’s Head Office, be the linking pin with the sector team and local partners.
- Support the preparation of expressions of interest;
- Support the development capability statements and presentations;
- In coordination with Human Resources, Country Director, Sector Leaders and other Business Development staff, support recruitment of key staff required for winning proposals, including developing job descriptions, tracking applicants, scheduling interviews, collecting and reviewing requisite application documents, formatting resumes for submission, and communicating with applicants throughout the process.
- Develop a deep understanding of SNV Kenya’s core competencies and Business Development (BD) strategy across Sectors;
- Track potential funding opportunities from public and private sector funders;
- Coordinate SNV Kenya’s Business Development efforts by drafting funder communications;
- Support the BD department’s operational and funding objectives through inputting, managing, and reviewing business development opportunities as well as building and analysing reports and dashboards on SNV Kenya Salesforce platform;
- Research, synthesize, and organize qualitative and quantitative information from diverse internal and external sources;
- Assist with the development of marketing materials for funder outreach, including print and web materials, in coordination with Country Management Team (CMT);
- Support funder cultivation activities through conducting research, drafting/editing documents, and participating in funder meetings;
- Provide BD related administrative support to CMT as needed;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience and education:
- Master degree in international development, marketing or related area;
- Minimum 3 years of specific experience within Business Development and understanding of bidding processes;
- Able to organise and deal with variety of operational requests;
- Preference for a candidate with basic proposal development skills, including writing and editing. Experience working on proposals for USAID, DFID, and other overseas government development agencies, multilateral institutions, and private sector (corporate funders and/or private foundations) preferred;
- Ability and familiarity with supporting senior management teams to drive BD strategy;
- Excellent computer skills using MS Office products, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint, required;
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
Competencies and personal characteristics:
- Commercial drive, Communicative flexibility, Service-orientation, Analytical;
- Strategic thinker who is adept at multi-tasking in fast paced environment, able to plan, prioritize, and organize individual and group activities and processes;
- Outgoing, straight forward, and creative;
- Able to work independently and take initiative;
- Results oriented;
- Team-focused, must enjoy working as part of an active group of highly engaged, passionate individuals;
- Sharing information readily with co-workers, and listening to and respecting others;
- Able and willing to assist co-workers in the development of their own professional skills in order to ensure the team’s success;
- A person who presents a high degree of maturity, honesty, trust, sophistication, and integrity.
Contract Period: 6 months, extendable
Desired start date: As soon as possible but not later than 1st December, 2018.
How to apply
Please apply by clicking on the “I'M INTERESTED” tab above/below and complete your application in our in-house recruitment system before 22nd October, 2018.
We do not appreciate any commercial mediation based on this advertisement.
NB: Kindly note that SNV Kenya does not require you to undergo any medical test prior to employment. Only shortlisted will be contacted.