Value Chain Expert/Advisor - Dairy
- Kakamega or Kisumu, Kakamega or Kisumu County
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation, working in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
SNV Kenya is bidding within a consortium to deliver advisory epertise within an upcoming dairy project that aims to improve the incomes of smallholder dairy farmers in a number of counties in Western Kenya by ensuring that dairy value chain in the target counties:
1) Increases average income for farmers from the sales of specific products in the promoted value chain
2) Increases employment
3) Increases productivity of small-scale farms
SNV is recruiting a long-term national expert in either cooperative development or dairy farming. The expert will work under the projects team leader/project manager to assist the project manager in achieving project outcome and output as listed above; implement the support strategy of the dairy value chain component: either in cooperative development or/and agricultural extension or/and training in dairy farming or/and commercial fodder production and ensure close coordination with team leader of this project within SNV and other programme manager(s) within the consortium.
- Achieving project outcome and output
- Management of team of short term consultants
- Close coordination with programme manager with respect to development and implementation of dairy value chain support strategy
- Ensuring implementation of result oriented monitoring and evaluation system
- Being in charge of technical implementation of support measures of at least one of the following technical areas: agricultural extension or cooperative development or commercial fodder production
- Participation in the international dairy working group of the Project as agreed with the programme manager
- Ensuring the connectivity of the dairy project with established practises by applying Capacity WORKS
- Supporting the team leader in updating and/or adapting the project design on the basis of the five success factors of Capacity WORKS
- Participating in external and internal networks as agreed with Team Leader
- University Degree (at least master degree) in agricultural science, agricultural economics, animal science, cooperative development, agricultural extension
- At least 20 years of working experience in rural development projects either in the area of agricultural extension or/and cooperative development or/and dairy farming
- Practical knowledge of ATVET approach and excellent training skills
- Excellent knowledge of dairy value chain support activities of government and non-government organisations and donors in Kenya and good networking abilities
- Extraordinary coordination and communication skills
- Fluent (written and spoken) in English
- Client and partner orientation, efficient work practices, interdisciplinary thinking and training experience are mandatory
- Experience of collaboration with GIZ or other donors is an asset
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time national position with the successful candidate being contracted on a 2-year period.
How to apply
Please apply by clicking on the “I AM INTERESTED” tab on this page and submitting an application letter and CV (in English) that highlights three referees before the 13th September, 2018. All information will be in the strictest confidence. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
Please note that SNV Kenya does not require you to undergo any medical examination during the recruitment process.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.