Project Assistant - RBF Cookstoves (Consultant)
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Contract type: Consultancy contract
SNV Netherlands Development Organisation is a not-for-profit international development organisation, working in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, SNV has a long-term, local presence in more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organizations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development. Within the Energy sector, SNV is a facilitator of commercially viable markets for renewable energy products and services for households and SMEs. We provide advisory services to private, public and non-governmental organizations for improved access to energy for underserved populations within rural, peri-urban as well as urban areas.
About the Project - Kenya Stoves Results Based Financing Project
Energising Development Kenya Country Programme (EnDev Kenya), implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ), and the SNV Netherlands Development Organisation (SNV), are executing two result based finance (RBF) initiatives that will provide financial incentives to private sector beneficiaries after delivery and verification of pre-agreed objectives and results.
The RBF projects are funded by DFID and managed by Energising Development (EnDev), a global programme financed by Australia, Germany, The Netherlands through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (DGIS), Norway, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Sweden through SIDA. EnDev is implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Technical Cooperation) and has programmes in 24 countries worldwide. By end of 2013 EnDev had reached almost 11 million people, more than 12,000 social institutions and over 25,000 small and medium enterprises to gain access to energy in as little as nine years.
The two RBF projects aim at mitigating access to finance challenges affecting (a) the small solar systems market particularly targeting small-scale entrepreneurs and end users, and (b) MFIs, SACCOs and other financing institutions wishing to venture into the higher tier cookstoves market segment.
The recipients of the RBF incentives (small-scale entrepreneurs, MFIs, SACCOs, Cookstove Manufacturers, Retailers, Community Based Organizations and Non-Governmental Organizations) are the direct “Beneficiaries” while the end-users are indirect beneficiaries.
SNV is responsible for both the implementation of the cookstove and solar results based project. SNV roles include setting up and managing the RBF financing scheme; identification, selection and capacity assessment of RBF beneficiaries; training and capacity building of RBF beneficiaries; validation of results; disbursement of funds; monitoring of beneficiaries and reporting.
The goal of the RBF is “to overcome market failures constraining private sector delivery of distributed renewable energy systems providing modern energy services to the poor”. RBF funding is intended to reduce or mitigate commercial market failures.
The responsibilities of the consultant will be as follows:
- Provide overall support to RBF project by ensuring that the RBF’s operational manual/procedures are adhered to.
- Conduct pre-contract capacity assessments/due diligence of potential beneficiaries and providing capacity building assistance where required
- Monitoring and evaluation of RBF and alignment with project manual and M&E document
- Data analysis of all RBF data from beneficiaries of data received from the beneficiary
- Provide support for verification reports by IVA.
- Support in conducting due diligence and contracting of applicants
- Conduct field supervision trips as needed to ensure work plan implementation is progressing.
Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field namely Marketing, Commerce, Business Management or International Trade.
Skills and Work Experience
- At least 2 years of work experience with a good record of accomplishment in the corporate or private sector. RBF experience is an added advantage
- Advanced knowledge in data analysis and excel
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Planning and organizing skills
- Interpersonal relationship building skills
- Be a team player that motivates and supports other members
These activities will be undertaken for a period of 6 months, from September 2018 to February 2019.
Interested and capable individuals are requested to apply by close of business on Monday, 13th August 2018 by clicking on the I'M INTERESTED button to complete application in our in-house recruitment system. Please attach a cover letter as well as your CV containing three referees as you apply with position title as subject/reference.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.
NB: Only shortlisted will be contacted.
SNV does not require candidates to undergo medical examination prior to a successful interview process.