Programme Manager/ Sector Leader Off-grid Energy
- Mwanza, Tanzania
- Contract type: International employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation, working in Agriculture, Energy, and Water, Sanitation & Hygiene. Founded in the Netherlands in 1965, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 30 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
Our global team of local and international advisors works with local partners to equip communities, businesses and organisations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
Energy sector summary
SNV Tanzania’s current Energy Programme focuses largely around Solar, Improved Cook stoves and Biogas in rural areas using market-based solutions and Results Based Finance to ensure sustainable change. This new programme will move the Solar RBF and ICS products into a new operational markets that includes large displaced populations as well as host populations. The current Energy sector portfolio in Tanzania is one of SNV’s largest and we are looking to expand over the next five years including a move into Urban Energy solutions.
As a result of civil unrest in Burundi, since mid-April 2015 an estimated 250,000 refugees have arrived in Tanzania - in addition to 65,000 long-term hosted asylum seekers. An estimated 2.1 million persons reside in Kigoma Region of whom more than 850,000 Tanzanian nationals reside in local districts hosting the refugee camps. The significant increase in refugee population, over a relatively short space of time, into a comparatively limited space has created intense environmental impacts driven largely by energy consumption needs. An estimated one million or more trees have been cut for fuel and shelters in Kigoma as a result of the recent refugee influx.
The project’s main objective is to improve the use of sustainable energy by refugees and surrounding communities in the Kigoma region in Northwest Tanzania. This will further contribute to the prevention or reduction of resource conflicts between the local population of Kasulu and Kibondo districts and refugees in the Nyarugusu and Nduta camps. Improving access to quality cooking and solar energy options to these communities reduces the extremely high pressure on the limited firewood resources and contributes to improving the living conditions these persons. Measures of the project will be implemented in the following three Activity Areas of:
1. Distribution and Promotion of Improved Stoves & Cooking Practices
Technical assistance in design, production and distribution of local improved cookstoves towards integration of biomass fuels and alternatives (briquettes, LPG)
2. Access to High-Quality Solar Energy Products & Services
Stimulation of private sector investment to sustained market presence in Kigoma for IFC-Lighting Africa certified solar products and services
3. Alternative Reforestation Practices Alleviating Reliance on Traditional Biomass
Revitalization and introduction to local forestry measures in localized fuelwood production practices including agro-forestry wood lots linked to community reforestation financing
The programme will adapt and extend SNV & EnDev Tanzania approaches and expertise in cooking energy, solar technologies and forestry to engender Renewable Energy Service & Products as an Opportunity in National and Displaced (RESPOND) Markets of Kigoma Region. A humanitarian market-based approach will be employed to improve overall livelihood, enterprise development and employment potentials responsive to the unique needs of each community while working closely together with international and local companies.
Overview of the Position
You will lead and manage the RESPOND programme within scope, budget, timeline and acceptable quality levels in line with the commitments specified in the contract signed with the donor.
The PM will also be the Sector Leader and guide the overall quality of the SNV Tanzania Energy sector. In this role, you will support resource mobilisation, steer the quality of technical advisory services, and oversee the SNV Energy programmes in Tanzania. You will enhance the quality and visibility of our Energy programmes and position SNV within the national Energy sector. The PM/SL reports directly to the Country Director and collaborates closely with the Energy global sector team.
- Ensure implementation of the project work plan, as per the SNV project management procedures, accounting principles and donor requirements.
- Contract Management & Project Accounting - Manage and account for administrative, finance and procurement components.
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting - Formulate and implement M&E plan; ensure data collection, risk monitoring and reporting.
- Knowledge, documentation and communication - Ensure full synthesis, analysis and documentation and sharing of project insights and results, signal potential for positioning, innovation, upscaling and potential follow up projects.
- Network and Relationship building - Build and maintain effective relationships, with the government and local authorities, other programme countries, external partners and the donor.
- Strategic Leadership: develop country-level Energy strategy aligned to corporate Energy frameworks;
- Business Development: develop proposals and secure funding for innovative Energy programmes;
- People Management: lead, manage, and coach the team of SNV advisors, local service providers and consultants;
- Representation & Promotion: develop and maintain relationships with stakeholders to improve SNV’s market position and actively participate in external and internal networks;
- Contribute to SNV Tanzania Management as a member of the Country Management Team.
- Relevant advanced academic qualification in Energy or related field;
- 7+ years of relevant experience in Energy service delivery including at least 5 years in a project management role, preferably in Energy in Africa;
- Proven track record in project management, specifically in project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management for large-scale comprehensive projects;
- International work experience and the ability to effectively coach and lead a team of advisors in a multi-cultural setting;
- Strong background in resource mobilisation; demonstrated programme design, proposal writing, business development, and international donor relationship management;
- Strong relationship management skills;
- Proficiency in English required, Kiswahili speaker preferred;
- The successful candidate will be a self-motivated achiever with excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organisational skills.
Contract Type: International
Contract Duration: 12-month initial term, expanding on successful completion of the inception phase.
Expected Start Date: October 2018
Information Duty Station: Based in Mwanza, with significant travel to Kigoma and Dar es Salaam
Mwanza is Tanzania’s second-largest city, and the lake region’s economic heart, Mwanza is set on Lake Victoria’s shore, surrounded by hills strewn with enormous boulders. It is notable for its strong Indian influences, as well as for being a major industrial centre and a busy port.
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from, and contribute to, an internal global network of Energy experts.
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and answer the screening questions before July 8, 2018.
For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org