Technical Manager - Textiles & Apparel
SGS is the global leader and innovator in inspection, verification, testing and certification services. Founded in 1878, SGS is recognized as the global benchmark in quality and integrity. With over 97,000 employees in 130 countries and operating a network of more than 2,400 offices and laboratories, we provide services to almost every industry by assuring quality and safety of products and services.
Trusted all over the world, SGS is a market leader because we put 100% passion, pride and innovation into everything we do. We encourage new ideas. We welcome people who challenge the way we do things. And we will be 100% committed to helping you reach your full potential.
Responsible for technical support and product testing in the US with the objective to support sales and operations in growing the business. Primary focus on laboratory testing and regulatory compliance.
- Provide technical support to sales teams and account managers internally and/or during interactions with clients with a special focus on supporting the SGS Retail Solutions team
- Support responses to tenders and/or projects from a technical perspective
- Search the SGS network for required capabilities to answer client requests and coordinate execution as required with the different SGS affiliates
- Prepare or support the preparation of test plans, test protocols and / or SOPs according to regulatory and/or client requirements
- Stay up to date on applicable and upcoming federal and state laws, hazardous materials regulations, and other applicable US / Canada laws and regulations applicable to cosmetics, personal care and household products
- Execute ingredient and product label reviews in accordance with applicable US / Canada laws and regulations
- Participate and support the execution of sensory and consumer panel testing plans
- Possibly be involved in the writing of test reports as required
- Additional responsibilities as assigned by supervisor
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree within a scientific discipline such as chemistry, microbiology, etc. AND (Required)
- For C&H: Knowledge / experience of the cosmetics, personal care and/or household care sector (Required)
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience (Required)
- For C&H: Knowledge / experience in cosmetics, personal care or household care related testing services (microbio, chemical, etc.) desirable (Preferred)
- Regulatory knowledge / experience desirable (Preferred)
- Knowledge or understanding of sensory testing preferred, but not required (Preferred)
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Language Skills: English Advanced
- Mathematical Skills: Advanced preferred
- Computer Skills: MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) – Advanced user proficiency required.
- Proven leadership skills; ability to coordinate and motivate staff toward a common goal. Must take ownership of objectives and hold self-accountable.
- Proven interpersonal skills for effective work with client services teams, to include cross cultural sensitivities. Customer focused capable of building trust, value others and communicate effectively.
- A thorough understanding of the regulations and regulatory landscape in North America. This includes being familiar with and active in CPCS, AAFA, AATCC and ASTM Organizations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact with all departments within the organization. Must be an extensive multi-tasker, and problem solver with high energy levels and strong organizational abilities.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities across departments and operating units through effective resource management. Strong project management skills required.
SGS is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such we recruit, hire, train, and promote persons in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristics protected by law.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the company’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
If you are applying for a position within the United States and you have difficulty completing the on-line employment application because of a disability, please call 201-508-3149 for assistance and leave a message. You will receive a call back. Please note, this phone number is not for general employment information, but is only for individuals who are experiencing difficulty applying for a position due to a disability.