Microbiology, QC Specialist
- Millcreek Dr, Mississauga, ON, Canada
Make an impact with SGS! With more than 97,000 employees and 2,600 offices and laboratories across the world, SGS is a silent force working hard behind the scenes to deliver quality and integrity to businesses across nine industries. As the world’s leader in providing inspection, verification, testing and certification services, Forbes ranked the SGS Group as one of the world’s top multinationals and one of the world’s most innovative companies. The Dow Jones Sustainability Index has also recognized the SGS Group for its sustainability processes. In Canada, SGS employs over 2,000 team members across 70 locations.
This position is responsible for the continued administration, supervision and monitoring of the adherence of the laboratory operations to the Quality Management System and in conformance with ISO/IEC 17025 and with the policies and procedures set up by Agriculture and Food Management.
This position conducts data authorizations and provide guidance and monitoring of the laboratory on their practices in quality control and special projects with respect to the requirements of the quality management system and applicable regulatory and international standards including ISO/IEC 17025, and for any special program certifications.
- Maintain thorough knowledge and understanding of ISO/IEC 17025 and other applicable international standards, guidelines and regulations pertain to work performed in the laboratory.
- Day to-day data authorizations and issuing of reports to clients
- Plan and initiate procedures and systems (i.e. SOP’s, checklists, templates, forms, and other quality documentation) necessary to ensure the maintenance and improvement of the company quality program.
- Ensure major technical non-conformances and areas of quality risk are brought to the attention of the Quality Assurance Manager, Lab Director and Branch/Lab Manager.
- Work in partnership with other supervisors/managers to solve client problems to ensure quality and customer satisfaction standards are met.
- Ensure non-conformances (i.e. failure or deviation), customer complaints and Out-of-specification results are adequately investigated for root cause and approve corrective action plan in consultation with the Quality Assurance Manager, Lab Director and Branch/Lab Manager.
- In conjunction with the Quality Assurance Manager, monitor and maintain internal quality controls for testing and external Proficiency and Round Robin programs and performance applicable to site testing capabilities.
- Under the direction of the Quality Assurance Manager, performs internal audits and necessary follow up according to internal audit schedule (may involve additional site audits as needed)
- Plan and conduct special projects such as shelf life studies and research and development (R&D) work/
- Works with the lab personnel to continuously improve lab products and services.
- Assist the department as needed to validate testing scheme set up in LIMS before use and accuracy ongoing such as but not limited to the test parameters, calculation and reporting, and quality controls.
- Ensure control systems for reference standards, cultures and media, and for equipment calibration and maintenance are adequately maintained by the department and meet the Quality Management System requirements
- Under the direction of the Quality Assurance Manager or Lab Director, sign quality or non-financial related agreements for clients on behalf of the laboratory
- Participates in preparation and hosting of inspections by clients, regulatory and accreditation bodies.
- May work as a backup in designated areas in the absence of Quality Assurance Manager.
- Conduct other miscellaneous projects as assigned.
- Support the department in the company operational integrity requirements
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Microbiology, Food Science, Food Technology, or related field with five or more years of experience in a commercial food testing laboratory
- Five years or more of experience in a microbiological testing
- Experience in quality control role in a related field
- Ability to lead in accreditation process for lab including MFLP: Health Canada, MFHPB: Health Canada, CFIA, ISO/IEC 17025, and FDA.
- Knowledge of current ISO/IEC 17025 requirements
- Sound knowledge of good laboratory practices
- Familiar with official accredited methods such as AOAC, AOCS and USP methodology.
- Familiar with Agricultural and Food matrices.
- Knowledge of the Canadian Agricultural sectors (Grain, Meat, Fishery, etc.) is required.
- Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills (Proficiency in French would be a strong asset).
- Excellent negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Strong leadership and management skills with a demonstrated ability to lead and manage people.
- Superior organizational, communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
- A sense of diplomacy and networking skills are essential to build relationships with external clients as well as key internal personnel.
- Must be creative, innovative and client-focused.
- Previous experience providing client services is an asset.
SGS Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to achieving greater accessibility by providing accommodation for people with disabilities during our hiring process. Accommodations are available on request for qualified candidates during each stage of the recruitment process.
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian job openings should be authorized to work in Canada.