- 3260 Production Way, Burnaby, BC V5A 4R4, Canada
Make an impact with SGS! With more than 94,000 employees and 2,600 offices and laboratories across the world, SGS is a silent force working hard behind the scenes to deliver quality and integrity to businesses across nine industries. As the world’s leader in providing inspection, verification, testing and certification services, Forbes ranked the SGS Group as one of the world’s top multinationals and one of the world’s most innovative companies. The Dow Jones Sustainability Index has also recognized the SGS Group for its sustainability processes. In Canada, SGS employs over 2,000 team members across 70 locations.
A day in the life of an SGS Laboratory Technician:
- Conduct required testing on agriculture and food samples such as moisture, protein, oil, salt, toxins, falling number, dockage, variety identification, nutrition labelling, proximate analysis or other tests as seen suitable by the Lab Manager or Departmental Supervisor using applicable wet chemistry methods and various instruments (spectrophotometer, wet gluten analyser, electrophoresis, HPLC, GC, LCMSMS, ICP-OES, NIR, PCR, ELISA, etc) available in the laboratory.
- Accountable for performing and recording routine and non- routine instrument maintenance (i.e. GC, GCMS, HPLC and LCMSMS, NIR, etc).
- Conduct balance calibrations, pipette verifications, monitoring temperatures of water baths, fridges, freezers, etc.
- Maintain and record instrument calibrations (i.e. chromatography instruments, NIR, spectrophotometers, etc.).
- Conduct proper sample storage and disposal practices and documentation.
- Adhere to proper labelling and documentation procedures for solvents, standards, reagents, etc.
- A post secondary education (degree and/or diploma) in Food Science or Food Chemistry is required.
- A minimum of 1 – 3 years of experience in Food Labs and Food residue testing will be an asset
- Familiar with Agricultural and Food matrix's.
- Sound knowledge of good laboratory practices.
- Must be proficient in using various type of computer software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.).
- Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
SGS Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to achieving greater accessibility by providing accommodation for people with disabilities during our hiring process. Accommodations are available on request for qualified candidates during each stage of the recruitment process.
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian job openings should be authorized to work in Canada.