Analytical Instrumentation Technician
- 3260 Production Way, Burnaby, BC V5A 4R4, Canada
Make an impact with SGS! With more than 94,000 employees and 2,600 offices and laboratories across the world, SGS is a silent force working hard behind the scenes to deliver quality and integrity to businesses across nine industries. As the world’s leader in providing inspection, verification, testing and certification services, Forbes ranked the SGS Group as one of the world’s top multinationals and one of the world’s most innovative companies. The Dow Jones Sustainability Index has also recognized the SGS Group for its sustainability processes. In Canada, SGS employs over 2,000 team members across 70 locations.
Type of employment: Permanent
Business Line: SGS Minerals
Reporting to: Laboratory Supervisor
• Performs and executes laboratory techniques as per methods independently, following the company’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) to carry out analyses.
• Documents information by maintaining daily logs and equipment record books.
• Recording and periodically interpreting results to present to senior colleagues, results are evaluated in a timely manner.
• Keeps laboratory supplies readily available by inventorying stock.
• Assists in maintaining and operates equipment by following operating instructions, troubleshooting breakdowns and performing preventive maintenance. Record findings in logbook.
• Carry out routine instrument checks for compliance and accurate testing results. Record findings in logbooks.
• Assists with preparing method SOP’s, validation protocol and reporting.
• Demonstrates safe work habits and enforces a clean and organized working environment.
• Assists the Department Supervisor in monitoring and checking for the completion of all daily H&S checks, monthly H&S meetings, emergency protocol and any incident/accident reports.
• Education: BSc. or Diploma in a Science related program or equivalent experience or training
• Experience: Minimum 1 – 3 years of relevant laboratory work experience required
• Previous experience using a variety of Geochemistry instrumentation.
• Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
• Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills including grammer and composition.
• Candidates must be proficient in using various types of computer software (Word, Excel and Outlook).
• Good hand/eye coordination when handling samples & lab equipment.
• Must use good judgment to identify and resolve problems on the job. When in difficulty refer problems to his/her supervisor for resolution.
• Intermediate level of creativity required in solving routine problems.
• Able to work well under pressure during high (peak) workloads and balancing conflicting demands of high volume versus the quality of results.
• Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment.
• Ability to work well with others & independently.
• Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
• Works well under pressure.
• Extended hours and shift work may be required from time to time.
• Travel to other SGS locations may be required from time to time.
• Ensures full compliance with the company’s Health & Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies.
SGS Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to achieving greater accessibility by providing accommodation for people with disabilities during our hiring process. Accommodations are available on request for qualified candidates during each stage of the recruitment process.
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian job openings should be authorized to work in Canada.