- Department: Production
Repeatedly voted one of Montreal’s Top Employers and Employer of the Year for the 2022 Mercuriades Awards, Rodeo FX is a high-end creative company offering services in visual effects, advertising, animation, and experiential.
Nominated for 3 Emmy® Awards for its work on the series Stranger Things season 4, The Witcher season 2 and Foundation season 1, the independent, Oscar®-winning company boasts close to 800 artists.
Rodeo FX is a creative partner to the world’s best storytellers including Netflix, HBO, Disney, Marvel, Amazon Studios, Warner Bros. and Sony, and has collaborated on ads for YouTube, NBC and Apple. Current projects include Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore, Resident Evil, Halo, and Stranger Things season 4. Recently released projects include Dune, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, WandaVision and The Witcher season 2, all earning nominations at the 2022 VES awards.
As a company founded and led by an artist, it is creativity above all that guides us. Our mission is to provide our talents with the freedom and resources they need to deliver quality work and thrive in a stimulating, caring environment. This is why we offer a flexible, hybrid and remote work structure in all our locations.
The VFX Producer ensures proper management of the budget and production schedule for every show for which they are responsible. Working with various departments, the VFX Producer ensures ongoing adherence to the schedule and budget established between production and the client.
This includes working with the VFX Supervisor and other Supervisors to establish and communicate plans and milestones for each project, communicating with clients on changes and closely following project budgets.
- In collaboration with the VFX Supervisor and Business Development, participate in the evaluation of costs and bidding for potential projects;
- In conjunction with the VFX Supervisor, create a strategy and establish a global vision that will be applied throughout the VFX project, ensuring client satisfaction, cost efficiency and profit generation;
- Communicate regularly with clients on the status of projects, creating a positive and collaborative working relationship;
- Recommend and provide solutions and bids for new shots or client changes throughout the project all while ensuring respect of deadlines and budgets;
- Oversee scheduling and preparation of project plans, including performance targets and milestones. Initiate, approve and budget overtime, as needed;
- In consultation with departments, assign key talent to projects, ensuring the right mix of skills and experience to meet the project requirements. Confirm any additional necessary resources needed throughout the completion of projects;
- Responsible for supervising the progress and efficiency of projects, keeping a thorough tracking of the schedule and budget, ensuring Shotgun is up to date at all times. Ensure it is in line with the initial quote, the project plan and that it meets client requirements;
- Prepare any budget reports that may be required. Forecast scheduling and budgeting issues along with client changes that may arise.
- Maintain regular communication with the Production team on all necessary information relating to the project;
- Ensure in-person turn-overs with artists and the VFX team are completed by the Supervisors;
- Perform mid and post-mortem meetings and assessments, identify areas for improvement and ensure that all issues are addressed;
- Provide leadership to drive continuous improvement, make recommendations of best practices, suggest ways to improve, design processes to increase efficiency and ensure implementation.
- Mentor members of their team by providing training and sharing knowledge. Communicate any specific training needs to the Head of Department. May participate in preparing training materials or giving group training sessions;
- Review the performance of their production team and ensure that they receive feedback on a regular basis through the mid and post mortem process. Conduct annual performance reviews and make recommendations for salary reviews;
- In conjunction with Department Managers, responsible for the management of performance of their production team including deciding on promotions (levels and/or positions), disciplinary or performance issues, and terminations.
- Actively monitor the work climate in his/her team, taking steps to encourage and ensure the maintenance of a positive work environment and adherence to company values;
- Ensure VFX Breakdowns are created for every project;
- Positively represent Rodeo FX within the VFX and related communities, both locally and in the worldwide market, to further grow the company’s reputation as an industry leader.
- Minimum of 10 years of production experience in visual effects;
- Excellent knowledge of GSuite and Microsoft Office;
- Strong knowledge of Shotgun project management software;
- Excellent knowledge of the VFX Production process from concept to delivery;
- Excellent organizational and planning skills;
- Excellent sense of prioritization and respect of deadlines and budgets;
- Must be available for occasional international travel.
- Full-time, Permanent Contract ;
- Flexible, hybrid and remote work structure in all our locations ;
- 5 paid sick/personal days ;
- 2 additional statutory holidays in the winter holidays ;
- Group Insurance, access to Dialogue online support and to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) ;
- RRSP with employer contribution ;
- Discounts on public transports, several spas, sports classes, art centers, cafes, furniture and several other local businesses.
Diversity is a core value at Rodeo FX. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable work environment where diversity is celebrated and valued. We believe every member on our team enriches our work by exposing us to a broad range of ways to perceive and interact with the world, identify challenges, and to design and deliver projects.