- Department: Technology
Repeatedly voted one of Montreal’s Top Employers and Employer of the Year for the 2022 Mercuriades Awards, Rodeo FX is a high-end creative company offering services in visual effects, advertising, animation, and experiential.
Nominated for 3 Emmy® Awards for its work on the series Stranger Things season 4, The Witcher season 2 and Foundation season 1, the independent, Oscar®-winning company boasts close to 800 artists.
Rodeo FX is a creative partner to the world’s best storytellers including Netflix, HBO, Disney, Marvel, Amazon Studios, Warner Bros. and Sony, and has collaborated on ads for YouTube, NBC and Apple. Current projects include Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore, Resident Evil, Halo, and Stranger Things season 4. Recently released projects include Dune, Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, WandaVision and The Witcher season 2, all earning nominations at the 2022 VES awards.
As a company founded and led by an artist, it is creativity above all that guides us. Our mission is to provide our talents with the freedom and resources they need to deliver quality work and thrive in a stimulating, caring environment. This is why we offer a flexible, hybrid and remote work structure in all our locations.
The Houdini TD works closely with the Pipeline Department to develop tools and solutions to ensure VFX projects run smoothly and help the FX, CFX, Environment, Lighting and Layout teams find technical solutions to problems encountered.
Key responsibilities :
- Create verifiable, effective, and reusable tools and scripts using best software development practices;
- Develop tools to meet production demands, ensuring that they meet departmental standards as requested by Supervisors and/or Heads of departments;
- Maintain a wide range of workflows and scripts;
- Provide front-line support to artists, troubleshooting assets and shots, and help artists find solutions to general problems;
- Work with Supervisors and Heads of the FX, CFX, Environment, Lighting and Layout departments to determine the best possible technical and creative approaches;
- Create and communicate documentation on the tools developed and provide training to artists;
- Perform quality control on work before submitting it for review/approval, ensuring all technical specifications are met, user requirements are satisfied and notes from peer review addressed;
- Keep the project team and/or the Head of TD informed of the status of work, issues to be resolved, ramifications of problems encountered and recommend potential solutions;
- Ensure deadlines are met, advising the project team promptly if delays could be expected.
Qualification and experience :
- Minimum of 5 years of experience within the VFX, animation or video-game industry;
- Proven pipeline TD experience in animated features and TV series and/or VFX feature films;
- Strong understanding of production processes and artist workflows within film and television visual effects pipelines;
- Experience with Pixar’s Universal Scene Description an asset;
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, computer visualization, computer animation or other related field, or equivalent work experience;
- Strong understanding of 3d geometric attributes and principles
- Experience with Python script;
- Excellent knowledge of Houdini and extensive experience using the software;
- Good understanding of Linux operating system and shell scripting;
- Proficiency working with one or more renderers (e.g. Renderman, Mantra, Arnold, etc.), and experience with renderer specific file formats;
- Strong skills in debugging and development tests;
- Able to communicate solutions to issues in a clear and concise manner;
- Excellent sense of prioritization and respect of deadlines;
- Full-time, Permanent Contract ;
- Flexible, hybrid and remote work structure in all our locations ;
- 5 paid sick/personal days ;
- 2 additional statutory holidays in the winter holidays ;
- Group Insurance, access to Dialogue online support and to an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) ;
- RRSP with employer contribution ;
- Discounts on public transports, several spas, sports classes, art center, cafes, furniture and several other local businesses.
Diversity is a core value at Rodeo FX. We are passionate about building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable work environment where diversity is celebrated and valued. We believe every member on our team enriches our work by exposing us to a broad range of ways to perceive and interact with the world, identify challenges, and to design and deliver projects.