- Montreal, QC, Canada
- Department: CG
- City: Montreal
- Specialty: Animation
Artist-driven company by nature, it’s our mission to give talented artists the freedom and resources they need to deliver quality work and to thrive in a fun and creative environment.
Working under the direction of the Producer and VFX Supervisor, the Animation Supervisor ensures that the performance of CGI creatures and objects supports the creative vision of the Director on the show.
The Animation Supervisor oversees the work of Rigging, Animation, Creature FX, and Crowd to create high quality, visually stunning, hyper realistic performance for creatures, characters and objects.
S/he establishes, in collaboration with the Head of Animation, the working methods of his/her team, taking into account the pipeline requirements, both technical and methodological, present and future.
- Oversee the creation of high quality, visually stunning, hyper realistic performance for creatures, characters and objects on assigned shows.
- Oversee and manage the performance artists (Animators, Riggers, Creature FX and Crowd artists).
- Participate in the recruitment, training, management and performance review process of his/her team.
- Organize meetings and dailies with artists to keep track of the work.
- Fully responsible for providing artistic and technical notes to the animators.
- Work closely with specialty leads to provide technical and artistic support to cfx, rigging and crowd artists.
- Work closely with the CG Supervisor and VFX Supervisor to find the best creative and technical solutions.
- Act as a mentor and inspire, motivate and develop the talent of the performance artists.
- On smaller shows and during pre-production, act as an artist, and creates high end, hyper realistic animation, setting the quality standards for the animation team to follow.
- Assist the Head of Animation in developing the talent and culture of the team. Ensures that Rodeo quality standards are met.
- Meet schedules and show deadlines.
- Maintain ongoing communication with Production regarding the team’s progress and deadlines.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in a VFX studio.
- Traditional animation or artistic background, an asset.
- Proven skills as a mentor, manager and leader.
- Excellent understanding of body mechanics, acting, posing and storytelling techniques.
- Previous experience in hyper realistic facial animation, an asset.
- In-depth understanding of Rigging, CFX, Previs, Crowd and Modeling.
- Excellent knowledge of Maya.
- Knowledge of scripting, Mel or Python, an asset.
- Previous experience with Linux, an asset.
- Previous experience working with motion capture data.
- Self-driven, good communicator, and a great-team player.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Work ethic focused on the dynamism and collaboration.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks, set priorities and problem solving.