- Montreal, QC, Canada
- Department: CG
- City: Montreal
- Specialty: Rigging
Artist-driven company by nature, it’s our mission to give talented artists the freedom and resources they need to deliver quality work and to thrive in a fun and creative environment.
We are looking for a Rigging Lead to help with a variety of exciting projects. You must have a thorough knowledge of animation, rigging and deformation tools currently used in the VFX industry, as well as related cross-pipeline workflows.
Reporting to the Head of Rigging, the Rigging Lead should be experienced and passionate about building photo-realistic creatures, develop tools, and have experience in leading/mentoring teams in all aspects of Creature TD work. You will oversee the development and maintenance of the studio’s proprietary rigs and ripping pipeline.
- Work with technical and artistic supervisors to determine workflows, tool requirements and asset needs;
- Supervise/mentor rigging team, and focus on improving the overall quality and efficiency of creatures/characters workflow;
- Attend turnover meetings, asset breakdowns, and bidding/re-bidding over the course of the shows;
- Collaborates with multiple departments including the Assets, Look Development, Animation, and show specific VFX Supervisors to find the most appropriate solution to produce desired CG character performances;
- Ensuring the creature team/show meets the shows requirements; determines the technical and aesthetic approaches to hit targets on time while monitoring show/shot progress;
- Create and rig the internal anatomy of a creature, in order to drive the final deformation of the skin;
- Create feature-quality, scripted rigs and refine them based on the needs of animators and downstream departments;
- Implement and refine character, body/face, cloth/deformer and hard-surface rigs;
- Work closely with modelers and animators to ensure an asset is efficiently rigged and capable of believable movements.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or similar field;
- Proven leadership experience;
- Rigging knowledge ranging from simple props to complicated creatures;
- Thorough understanding of techniques and technologies relating to rigging;
- Deep knowledge in anatomy and muscle dynamics;
- Good eye for aesthetics of body/face deformations;
- Object oriented programming design skills;
- Proficient Python development skills and debugging techniques;
- Excellent working knowledge of Maya;
- Experience with Qt, PyQt, PySide;
- Excellent leadership skills;
- Technical support focused;
- Strong verbal and written communications skills;
- Able to work well in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to work under pressure with strict deadlines;
- Ability to work within a team and with other departments.
Nice to Have:
- Highly proficient in cloth/hair/flesh/rigid body simulations. Setting up, running, and troubleshooting cloth, hair, flesh surfaces, and fur/feather simulations;
- Houdini knowledge. VEX;
- C++ programming experience;
- Linux knowledge;
- Bilingual English/French.