- 1156 15th St NW, Washington, DC 20005, USA
Established in 1970, the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (RCFP) provides pro bono legal representation, amicus curiae support, and other legal resources to protect First Amendment freedoms and the newsgathering rights of journalists. RCFP serves news organizations, reporters, editors, documentary filmmakers, media lawyers, and many more who use its online resources.
The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press seeks a creative, detail- oriented and enthusiastic person who wants to help us raise money. The Development Coordinator will provide support to the Director of Development and Executive Director in the planning, implementation, administration, and evaluation of all fundraising activities, which include individual giving, foundation and corporate support, and special events.
The Development Coordinator is an integral position within a vibrant, growing development office at a reputable organization with national presence. This position reports directly to the Director of Development and has primary responsibility for those development office activities that support organizational fundraising goals, including data management, gift acknowledgement, donor stewardship, prospect research and support of special events. The Development Coordinator will also provide administrative support to the Development Director and other staff when tied to development work. Some relevant experience is helpful, but not required. The position will offer ample professional development opportunity.
This is a full-time, hybrid position based in RCFP’s Washington, DC office. This role is not suited to 100% remote work and candidates should expect to be in the office at least two days per week, to be determined on the basis of meeting schedules and work obligations.
- Primarily responsible for timely and accurate entry in donor database, maintaining clean and up-to-date donor records, and producing donor-centered gift acknowledgements with adherence to vigorous standards including quick response to gifts, accuracy, confidentiality, and excellent record-keeping.
- Oversees and regularly uses Salesforce (Nonprofit Success Pack) to maintain accurate records, track cultivation and solicitation efforts, segment for campaigns, and analyze progress to goals. Generates donor reports as needed.
- Works closely with Director of Development, Executive Director, and others in the Development team to manage and analyze a comprehensive fundraising calendar that integrates face-to-face solicitation, special events, annual fund campaigns (print and digital), special campaigns, grant management, and other activities as appropriate.
- Researches fundraising opportunities with regard to both individuals and institutions.
- Prepares donor profiles in advance of meetings with prospects and supporters.
- Supports development team as administrative staff including answering phones, opening mail, and completing administrative tasks as needed.
- Assists Director of Development, Executive Director, and others to help donors feel connected to and inspired by RCFP’s mission.
- Monitors and updates online profiles on major nonprofit giving sites including Charity Navigator, Guidestar, etc. with accurate and compelling and accurate information on organizational programming, financials, and governance.
- Supports board members with development-related efforts, including planning, tracking, and analyzing progress toward fundraising goals.
Assignment, supervision and professional development
- The Development Coordinator works in the development team and is supervised by the Director of Development.
- The Development Coordinator will work with supervisor and team members to develop an individual professional workplan and to annually evaluate progress on that workplan, and to revise the workplan as necessary.
Work attributes: As an employee of RCFP, the Development Coordinator is expected to:
- Actively participate in the organization’s overall mission, objectives and strategies; staff meetings, work group meetings, and committees, and other organizational activities of the RCFP.
- Effectively organize and manage work to finish assignments timely, set priorities, arrange necessary involvement with others, and effectively juggle tasks.
- Accurately use employee-appropriate software including Salesforce, the organization’s management software, and other necessary office systems and technology.
- Appropriately work independently and in accordance with RCFP’s policies and best practices, and to seek supervision or assistance when necessary.
- Analyze what needs to be done to get the task done well and propose creative solutions to do it.
- Affirmatively think about how to improve or accomplish your work and the work of your team(s), engaging in creating the vision and work plan for your team(s) and the RCFP.
- Contribute to positive, supportive relationships with work colleagues; communicate as necessary with colleagues and supervisor(s); work cooperatively with your team(s); give and receive constructive criticism; do what you say, be where you say you’ll be, be prepared for meetings or forewarn people if you can’t.
- Develop useful contacts with people outside of RCFP; develop and maintain professional relationships; provide appropriate information, advice, and referral; communicate with appropriate RCFP staff about potential issues or problems dealing with others.
The Successful Candidate: The effective fundraiser is creative, kind, juggles multiple projects simultaneously, pays very close attention to detail, and communicates clearly with a variety of audiences. The ideal candidate will demonstrate these qualities and will be motivated by the Reporters Committee’s mission. This is a position where one can grow as a professional. Candidates who are interested in gaining skills and helping this team build diverse and sustainable revenue streams will be most suited for this position.
Familiarity with Salesforce or other development databases, Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and donor prospecting or research software products is a strong plus.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and able to multi-task and work independently to meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong writing skills and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Demonstrated commitment to mission-based organizations.
- Ability to work from Washington, DC based office an average of two days per week.
- Ability to travel occasionally, with advanced scheduling notice.
- A high level of computer literacy. (If possible, demonstrated proficiency with Salesforce (specifically the Nonprofit Success Pack), online research tools, Google Suite, Microsoft Word and Excel.)
- Knowledge of best practices in the areas of fundraising, prospect research, event management, stewardship and cultivation will be helpful.
- Demonstrated experience in planning and executing donor events is a plus.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and 2+ years of successful nonprofit experience.
Salary range for the role is $52,644 - $60,333 depending on prior experience. Our generous benefit package should also be considered. For all regular full-time positions, RCFP offers:
- A competitive base salary with 2 weeks paid time off, 4 annual floating days, and all Federal Holidays.
- A retirement savings plan, including a 5% employer contribution after 3 months of service.
- Comprehensive employer paid insurance coverage, including medical, dental, and vision, life and accidental death, and disability.
- Ability to use pre-tax dollars for dependent care and commuting expenses.
Deadline: Open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
COVID Vaccination: All RCFP employees must be fully vaccinated/boosted against COVID or present us with a medical or religious/ethical/moral accommodation that meets our satisfaction.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a one-page writing sample (can be from any prior work or academic project). NOTE: Please submit materials in one PDF or Word file. Only complete applications will progress forward in the hiring process.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.