Engineering Manager, Technical Lead -Data
- Remote Office, Any City, REMOTE, United States
- Employees can work remotely
When you join Renaissance®, you join a global leader in pre-K–12 education technology.
Renaissance’s solutions help educators analyze, customize, and plan personalized learning paths for students, allowing time for what matters—creating energizing learning experiences in the classroom. Our fiercely passionate employees and educational partners have helped drive phenomenal student growth, with Renaissance solutions being used in over one-third of US schools and in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Every day, we are connected to our mission by exemplifying our values: trust each other, win together, strive for the best, own our actions, and grow and evolve.
Schoolzilla’s Engineering team is responsible for empowering school systems across the
country to take action based on data by delivering timely, accurate, and useful data. As a
Technical Lead of this team, you’ll be driving product innovation. You’ll collaborate with product managers, designers, and your teammates to take ideas from concept to reality, utilizing your full range of technical skills and a healthy dose of user empathy.
What You’ll Do:
● Lead, manage, and coach a team of data engineers to present innovative, interactive
● Provide the team guidance, education, coaching and mentoring
● Craft fault-tolerant ELT pipelines and data warehouses that can scale by millions of
● Ensure that timely, accurate data is delivered to the variety of tools and systems that
depend on it
● Establish new patterns and frameworks for quickly aggregating millions of raw data
records into actionable metrics
● Partner with your peer engineers and product owners to target a new feature/product
and then lead your product engineering team in planning for its execution
● Continue to push for code development and delivery improvements to ensure well-tested
code is shipped early+often and is actively monitored once in the wild
● Develop and improve internal services, scripts, and tools that will be leveraged
throughout the company
● Collaborating across the organization to tackle tasks such as strengthening engineering
best practices and shipping cross-team features
For this role you must have:
● A history leading and/or managing a team of engineers building data analytics applications and solutions
● Experience architecting and building ELT pipelines utilizing frameworks such as dbt or
● Experience modeling, designing, implementing, and supporting modern, enterprise-scale data lakes and data warehouses
● Proven fluency in one or more major programming languages, such as Python, and
experience in SQL
● Proficiency with major relational databases, particularly Microsoft SQL Server and
● Experience with a major cloud-based data warehouse solution, such as Snowflake or
● Knowledge of modern, cloud-based data pipeline best practices
● Experience advancing teammates via coaching, mentoring, and providing performance
● A proven track record of working with both engineers and non-engineers to plan and
execute application development
● Experience working in an Agile software development organization and leading Agile
For this role you must be:
● Mission-Driven: You feel a deep sense of ownership for your work, and a relentless
desire to deliver better results. You are passionate about solving problems for our users.
● A Lifelong Learner: You love learning new things. You're curious and ask good
questions. You solicit feedback from others, accept it with grace, and act on it.
● Flexible: Comfort with technical ambiguity and welcome refining it with rapid iteration
Bonus Points For:
● Understanding of how data is used in K-12 education
● Experience with the tools we use, like AWS (including Glue and Lambda), Apache
Airflow, Data Build Tool (DBT), Snowflake, and Docker - plus experience with tools we
don’t use, but should, and the wisdom to know when to recommend them
● Enthusiasm for working in a remote or geographically distributed Agile software
development organization using DevOps practices.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Salary Range -$113,000 – $192,900 This range is based on national market data and may vary by location.
- Medical, Dental & Vision
- 401K with generous matching
- Generous Tuition & Professional Development Reimbursement
- 10+ paid holidays and Vacation Time Off
- 2 Volunteer Days off yearly
- 14 weeks fully paid family leave
Renaissance is committed to maintaining a safe and healthful environment for our employees and customers. To uphold this commitment, Renaissance requires all employees to receive a full COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment, unless an individual has been granted an exemption as an accommodation due to a disability or for religious reasons.
Frequently cited statistics show that some women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans, may only apply to roles if they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Renaissance, we encourage all applications! Roles evolve over time, especially with innovation, and you may be just the person we need into the future. We hope you're open to learning new skills to grow with us. Make our team, your team!
Renaissance is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate with respect to any term, condition or privilege of employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, marital status, or status of an individual in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
At Renaissance our mission is: “To accelerate learning for all children and adults of all ability levels and ethnic and social backgrounds, worldwide.” Inherent in that guiding principle is dedication to serving all identities by recognizing the importance of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in our organization, our work and our products.
Renaissance also provides reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local laws. If an accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact Talent Acquisition.