Staff Software Engineer (Backend-Haskell)
- Remote, Remote, REMOTE, United States
- Employees can work remotely
When you join Renaissance®, you join a global leader in pre-K–12 education technology. Renaissance’s solutions help educators analyze, customize, and plan personalized learning paths for students, allowing time for what matters—creating energizing learning experiences in the classroom.
Our fiercely passionate employees and educational partners have helped drive phenomenal student growth, with Renaissance solutions being used in over one-third of US schools and in more than 100 countries worldwide! Every day, we are connected to our mission by exemplifying our values: trust each other, win together, strive for the best, own our actions, and grow and evolve.
Our team empowers teachers to reach every student at their level. We are seeking an experienced, talented Backend Engineer to join the engineering team at Freckle by Renaissance. You’ll be bringing your talents and expertise to continue building and evolving our highly available and distributed SaaS platform.
In this role, you will:
- Architect, design and develop new web applications, APIs, services, tools, and distributed systems for the Freckle ecosystem in Haskell, PostgreSQL, ReactJS, and many others.
- Be primarily focused on the backend of Freckle's SaaS products.
- Mentor and support more junior developers in the organization .
- Create, improve, and refine workflows and processes for delivering quality software on time and with carefully calculated debt .
- Work closely with Freckle educators, product managers, customer support representatives, and account executives to help the business move fast and efficiently through relentless automation.
- Communicate effectively in a distributed work environment.
How you will do this:
- You’re part of an agile, multidisciplinary team.
- You bring your own unique skillset to the table and collaborate with others to accomplish your team’s goals.
- You prioritize your work with the team and its product owner, weighing both the business and technical value of each task.
- You experiment, test, try, fail, and learn continuously.
- You don’t do things just because they were always done that way, you bring your experience and expertise with you and help the team make the best decisions.
For this role, you must have:
- Strong knowledge of and experience with the functional programming paradigm.
- Experience conducting code reviews, providing feedback to other engineers.
- Great communication skills and a proven ability to work as part of a tight-knit team.
Bonus points for:
- You have experience building Haskell applications.
- You are passionate about education.
- You are interested in full-stack web application development (from CSS to AWS).
- You have worked and thrived in a distributed team context before.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Salary Range: 124,900 – 171,700. This range is based on national market data and may vary by location.
- Medical, dental, vision including Health Savings Accounts
- Tuition & Professional Development Reimbursement
- Parental Leave – 20 weeks total, 14 weeks paid
- Vacation Time Off
- 13 Holidays and 2 Volunteer Days
- Commuter benefits
- Wellness Incentives
Renaissance is committed to maintaining a safe and healthful environment for our employees and customers. To uphold this commitment, Renaissance requires all employees to receive a full COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment, unless an individual has been granted an exemption as an accommodation due to a disability or for religious reasons.
Frequently cited statistics show that some women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans, may only apply to roles if they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Renaissance, we encourage all applications! Roles evolve over time, especially with innovation, and you may be just the person we need into the future. We hope you're open to learning new skills to grow with us. Make our team, your team!
Renaissance is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate with respect to any term, condition or privilege of employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, marital status, or status of an individual in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
At Renaissance our mission is: “To accelerate learning for all children and adults of all ability levels and ethnic and social backgrounds, worldwide.” Inherent in that guiding principle is dedication to serving all identities by recognizing the importance of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in our organization, our work and our products.
Renaissance also provides reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and applicable state and local laws. If an accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact Talent Acquisition.