Technical Lead - Schoolzilla by Renaissance -Remote
- Remote, Any City, Home Office, United States
- Employees can work remotely
When you join Renaissance®, you join a global leader in pre-K–12 education technology. Renaissance’s solutions help educators analyze, customize, and plan personalized learning paths for students, allowing time for what matters—creating energizing learning experiences in the classroom.
Our fiercely passionate employees and educational partners have helped drive phenomenal student growth, with Renaissance solutions being used in over one-third of US schools and in more than 100 countries worldwide! Every day, we are connected to our mission by exemplifying our values: trust each other, win together, strive for the best, own our actions, and grow and evolve.
Enable Student Success by Unifying Data for Educators
Schoolzilla is a Renaissance product group living our mission to students’ lives at scale by
enabling people to use data to run great schools. Teachers and school leaders need lots of data to make good decisions for their students, but most of them can’t get the data they need in any kind of useful format. Schoolzilla's team of engineers, data visualizers, educators with lived experience, and K-12 knowledge holders have done just that. We've made data easy to find, understand, and act on for school districts everywhere.
Every day we live our founding values: Driven by Mission, Better Together, Teammates
Matter, Equity At The Center, and Intellectual Humilarity (humility + hilarity).
How You Can Help
Schoolzilla’s Engineering team is responsible for empowering school systems across the
country to take action based on data by delivering timely, accurate, and useful data. As a
member of this team, you’ll be driving product innovation. You’ll collaborate with product
managers, designers, and your teammates to take ideas from concept to reality, utilizing
your full range of technical skills and a healthy dose of user empathy.
What You’ll Do:
● Lead, manage, and coach a team of full-stack engineers to present innovative,
interactive data experiences
● Provide the team guidance, education, coaching and mentoring
● Craft fault-tolerant UIs and microservices that can scale by millions of students
● Ensure that timely, accurate data is delivered to the variety of tools and systems that
depend on it
● Create solutions for delivering performant, real-time ad hoc aggregate analysis
● Partner with your peer engineers and product owners to target a new feature/product
and then lead your product engineering team in planning for its execution
● Continue to push for code development and delivery improvements to ensure well-tested
code is shipped early+often and is actively monitored once in the wild
● Develop and improve internal services, scripts, and tools that will be leveraged
throughout the company
● Collaborating across the organization to tackle tasks such as strengthening engineering
best practices and shipping cross-team features
For this role you must have:
● History leading and/or managing a team of engineers building web applications
● Experience architecting and building single page applications utilizing frameworks such
as Angular or Vue
● Experience designing, implementing, and supporting modern, enterprise-scale
● Proven fluency in one or more major programming languages, such as Python or Java
● Proficiency with utilizing major relational databases, such as Microsoft SQL Server and
● Knowledge of modern, cloud-based web architecture and best practices
● Experience advancing teammates via coaching, mentoring, and providing performance
● Proven track record of working with both engineers and non-engineers to plan and
execute application development
● Experience working in an Agile software development organization and leading Agile
● Mission-Driven: You feel a deep sense of ownership for your work, and a relentless
desire to deliver better results. You are passionate about solving problems for our users.
● A Lifelong Learner: You love learning new things. You're curious and ask good
questions. You solicit feedback from others, accept it with grace, and act on it.
● Flexible: Comfort with technical ambiguity and welcoming of rapid iteration
Bonus Points For:
● Understanding of how data is used in K-12 education
● Experience with frameworks or services we use, like Angular, SQL Server, Postgres,
Flask, Redis, and Docker
● Familiarity with the tools we use, like AWS, Datadog, New Relic, Jenkins, and Rancher -
plus experience with tools we don’t use, but should, and the wisdom to know when to
● Experience using non-relational data stores, such as document stores, key-value stores,
and graph databases
● Enthusiasm for working in a remote or geographically distributed Agile software
development organization using DevOps practices.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Salary Range -$113,000 – $192,900 This range is based on national market data and may vary by location.
- Medical, Dental & Vision
- 401K with generous matching
- Generous Tuition & Professional Development Reimbursement
- 10+ paid holidays and Vacation Time Off
- 2 Volunteer Days off yearly
- 14 weeks fully paid family leave
At Renaissance our mission is: “To accelerate learning for all children and adults of all ability levels and ethnic and social backgrounds, worldwide.” Inherent in that guiding principle is dedication to serving all identities by recognizing the importance of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in our organization, our work, and our products.
Frequently cited statistics show that women and underrepresented minorities will only apply to roles if they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Renaissance, we write our job descriptions to articulate our flexibility and we encourage all applications. Roles evolve over time, especially with innovation, and you may be just the person we need into the future. NO ONE ever meets 100% of the criteria in a job post. We hope you're open to learning new skills to grow with us. Make our team, your team!